Gary R., List:

Indeed, importance and usefulness are in the eye of the beholder, and
predictive success is only one measure. As you rightly point out, the
burden of justification is on anyone who would attempt to disparage,
discourage, or even foreclose further investigation of any given matter,
not on those who wish to continue pursuing it.

In this case, if triadic semiosis is a real phenomenon, such that the
universe is not reducible to dyadic reactions and monadic qualities, then
the importance and usefulness of a theory of interpretants--the *effects *of
signs, whether possible (immediate), actual (dynamical), or ideal
(final)--should be obvious to anyone. After all, pragmatism--the most
famous product of Peirce's thought--falls under the third branch of the
normative science of logic as semeiotic, namely, speculative rhetoric (or
methodeutic), "the science of the essential conditions under which a sign
may determine an interpretant sign of itself and of whatever it signifies,
or may, as a sign, bring about a physical result" (EP 2:326, 1904).

Moreover, if the entire universe is conceived as one immense sign, a
semiosic continuum--"a vast representamen ... working out its conclusions
in living realities" (CP 5.119, EP 2:193, 1903), and thus "perfused with
signs, if it is not composed exclusively of signs" (CP 5.448n, EP 2:394,
1906)--then *every event* can be analyzed as the interpretant of a sign.
From that standpoint, what could be *more *important or useful than a
theory of interpretants?

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt