Dear Irving,
        Thanks for your reply. I realize my post was a diversion, not really
addressing the thread. I was simply playing with the idea that the two
mathematicians expressed, to see what would happen if art was considered. As I
said in original post, I agree with what they said for science and math, but
your last post also draws out other arguments on math as a human practice that
are interesting. But when considering art, I do consider its connection to
reality can be more direct, and will try to sound out an argument why. And I'm
trying to mean this in a Peircean sense.

        I think claiming that art is fictive and therefore not real because a
literary character such as Helen of Troy has "no real-world counterpart" misses
the point: that claim is a literalization of the real as an existent thing, and
surely the real is more than an existent. The character or the work of art is
the reality embodied, iconically, not referentially. Perhaps it is like the
rainbow: you can't go somewhere else and touch it, its reality involves your
perspective right where you are.

        Art does not only appeal to the senses, in my view, but also to
passionate reason. Sound, for example, "appeals" to the senses to determine an
interpretation, but music does that and more. It appeals to the soul, to the
whole passionate self.

        Perhaps another way to put it is that authentic art is a primary
interpretant of reality, where authentic science is a secondary interpretant of
reality. Admittedly, art does not deal with many of the questions the sciences
precisely consider. But the real is not limited to what science considers.

        Art not only depicts reality, as mathematics can do diagrammatically,
it enters into the creation of it. A work of music can be taken in a scientific
sense as revealing sonic laws, which could reveal a valid component of the
work. But as music it is also an aspect of the musical mind, bodying into
being. A work of art, in this sense, can be an act of creation, of spontaneous
reasonableness, in Peirce's sense that, "The creation of the universe, which
did not take place during a certain busy week, in the year 4004  B.C., but is
going on today and never will be done, is this very development of Reason."
Ongoing creation means that creation issues. How do you measure that reality,
the reality of the immeasurable creation issuing forth? You don't measure it,
you issue it, and in the process you are participant in the reality of creation
issuing forth as well as the iconic interpretant of it. This is the direct
connection to reality I am claiming for living art.

Gene Halton