I note in passing that Waismann's concept of number as the root of mathematics avoids this particular issue as the concept of "number" already exists in the natural language and does not acquire a sense of geometry in ordinary usage, in ordinary day to day communication.

Cheers

Jerry

On Mar 15, 2006, at 1:08 AM, Peirce Discussion Forum digest wrote:

Subject: Re: on continuity and amazing mazes

From: "Thomas Riese" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:39:29 +0100

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:37:14 +0100, Marc Lombardo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

wrote:

Thomas,

If you don't mind my asking, what's wrong with the "nonstandard analysis"

approach to illustrating continuum, so long as that approach is VERY

nonstandard? I was quite convinced by Hilary Putnam's introduction to

"Reasoning and the Logic of Things." Putnam suggests that rather than

understanding infinitesimals as deriving from major points, instead we

understand all points as themselves infinitesimals and all

infinitesimals as

points, such that any infinitesimal point names another infinity of

infinitesimals.

It's difficult to express things in a few useful words, Marc, but I'll try.

I know what Hilary Putnam writes. I believe that he extremely

underestimated

what a black belt master logician like Peirce can do with these seemingly

simplistic, "childish" syllogistic forms.

And it is very important to understand thst Peirce's logic is primarily

focused

on "forms". Another master in this way of thinking was the mathematician

Leonhard

Euler and in fact Peirce perhaps received his idea for the "cut" from

Euler (in

his Letters to a German Princess). John Venn later "amended" this form,

but he

misunderstood it completely. Euler wasn't childish. Neither was Peirce.

Euler could work miracles in analysis, but he had no explicit logical

theory.

He simply knew what he did. Later then others came, working more or less by

rule of thumb and that often landed them in the ditch. They simply did not

know

what they were doing. So there was a crisis in mathematics. To save

mathematical

logic there had to come Cauchy and Weiertrass, Dedekind and Cantor etc.

Secure

foundations were needed.

But that also closed the door to a lot of possibilities.

Peirce found the logic behind what Euler has been doing, I believe. But

now we have

"Bourbakism" in mathematics, i.e. set theory as a language, which is by no

means

"neutral".

Just an example: in mathematics, if you have discovered an "isomorphism"

you have made a

discovery, you have "reduced" things and then you are finished with these

things. They

are just simply "the same thing". The equivalence relation is so to speak

the primary

mode of _expression_.

Peirce is exactly interested in the relation between isomorphous forms.

His primary

relation is the general form of transitivity.

The difference has far reaching, profound implications.

So in nonstandard anylysis as soon as you base things on "point sets",

however generally

understood, you have already missed the point (no pun intended) of

Peirce's continuity.

Peirce can represent it in that form (and then mathematical points split

etc), but I don't

believe it's possible the other way round.

But what I here say, can be only very loose talk indeed of course. Just to

give you a vague

idea what I mean.

Cheers,

Thomas.