David LaChance says:

Joseph, I can't recall what that message was, but the quote
you are looking might be this one, where Peirce says that his
CD [i.e. Century Dictionary] definitions

“were necessarily rather vaguely expressed, in order to describe the
popular usage of terms, and in some cases were modified by
proofreaders or editors; . . . they are hardly such as I should give
in a Philosophical Dictionary proper.”

No, that wasn't the passage I had in mind, David, but it is directly to the
point. The one I had in mind turns out to be in a message I posted myself in
which I was quoting something Nathan Houser said in his introduction to Vol.
6 of the new edition, which runs as follows:

==========quote Nathan Houser============
Overall Peirce was quite satisfied with the results of his work, even though
he would often remark, as he did to Paul Carus on 25 September 1890, "God
forbid I should _approve_ of above 1/10 of what I insert."
==========end quote============

The passage you quote from Peirce helps in understanding what Peirce meant
in the seemingly negative judgment that Nathan alludes to, namely, that the
reader of the definitions in the dictionary should bear in mind that Peirce
was under the constraint of being required to give a report on actual usage
of the words he is providing definitions for since the Century is not, after
all, a philosophical dictionary but rather a dictionary primarily dedicated
to reporting popular usage, though it also contains descripitions of
specialized usage, too,  and perhaps even preferred -- i.e. implicitly
recommended --  usage now and then as well.  You go on to say:

"It appears at the end of the "Reply to the Necessitarians" Monist
article. It could induce some rather severe pessimism about any hopes
we might have in trusting that Peirce's definitions in the Century
Dictionary can be considered to reflect his own views, but I can say
he is being overly pessimistic himself in that passage as we find
many gems in his CD work, philosophical and otherwise."

Everything considered, I don't think it need be read as expressing pessimism
but only as saying something like "Bear in mind what I could and could not
do there."   What had bothered me about the passage Nathan quoted was, of
course, that it seemed that we might be compelled to infer that Peirce
"officially" approved of something which he did not in fact approve of, thus
behaved dishonestly.  But he put such an extraordinary amount of time and
labor in on that dictionary as to make it highly implausible that he did so
in violation of his own intellectual integrity.

Joe Ransdell