Many thanks, David, for making all of this explicit.  It helps to explain why Peirce would have devoted so much time and energy to a project which initially seems unworthy of it because of the limited usefulness which we now expect from a dictionary.  It also helps in understanding better how much weight to put on what he says in the dictionary when trying to get clear on his own philosophical usage.

Joe Ransdell
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 10:57 AM
Subject: [peirce-l] Re: question about century dictionary

Joseph,

David:

Thanks for the further clarification.  I wonder, though, if it is not going too far to say that it was meant to be a state of the art encyclopedia, etc. (see below)?  I looked up the word "dictionary" -- which apparently was not defined by Peirce -- and it doesn't seem to to warrant regarding it that way.  Here is the entry for that (minus some word-equivalents in other languages which are too difficult to reproduce here):

Yes, but I just wanted to stress the fact that the Century Dictionary is not a "simple" dictionary. The complete title of the work actually became "The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia". The end of the "encyclopedia" article you quote in your other post contains this:

"3. In a narrower sense, a cyclopedia. See cyclopedia, 1.", which goes (btw not by CSP):

"[Short form of encyclopedia, encyclopædia, q.v.] 1. A book containing accounts of the principal subjects in one branch of science, art, or learning in general: as a cyclopedia of botany; a cyclopedia of mechanics.—2.In a broader sense, a book comprising accounts of all branches of learning; an encyclopedia. See encyclopedia."

As "Cyclopedia" eventually became the CD's subtitle, this sense 2. is precisely how the project was conceived and understood by its editors, and by Peirce. In that sense, I don't think I went too far in describing Peirce's work as encyclopedic in nature and purpose.

David
---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.