List,

Just wanted to note that I'm having second thoughts about the idea that decay
is not an end!

But I'll keep it at least somewhat short because Jerry LR Chandler's post looks
interesting. (I read some things at http://www.hyle.org/ (philosophy of
chemistry) a few years ago, including something on chemical symbols. If anybody
thinks that the subject lacks philosophical interest, that's one place to find
some, though he probably knows of others.)

Now, I said that decay might be considered a kind of "material end," a telic
aspect of the material cause, but that it's not really a final cause. I lost
sight of the fact "material cause" should not be considered synonymous with
"physical matter".
*Correlations, NOT equations*:
momenta & forces ----------------- efficient cause -- forces, dynamics,
mechanics
(rest) mass, internal power --------- material cause -- physical matter,
chemistry
energy, power ------------------------ final cause ----- life
internally balanced momenta & forces -- formal cause --- intelligent life

Now, I see little reason that the sun's radiating of energy should not be
considered an end, an effect which goes toward making the sun what it is, never
mind whether it serves any living thing or not, and be the sun's radiative end
soever resource-like and means-like from a biggest-picture viewpoint.

Physically material non-living systems tend to have characteristic effects
which are ways of decaying. The kinds of ends for which an organism is
specialized & organized goes very much farther than that, it is true. Usually
when we think of the "final cause," we often think of an organism's nature's
elaborate dependences on functions homeostatic, exploitive, & reproductive.
This sort of thing does go well beyond the sun's radiating. And, likewise, the
kinds of "final states" and entelechies into which & on the basis of which an
intelligence builds & evolves seem to go very much farther than physical
non-living or even vegetable-level biological structures.

Yet one would hardly deny that merely physical-material and merely biological
things partake of those settled, final states that we call structures. So why
deny that the sun has a characteristic effect? It's that we tend to think of
the final cause in a "biocentric" way. So, the end stands out like a sore thumb
from among efficient, matter, & form all considered merely physically -- the
end seems higher than they. If we just said "actional cause" or something like
that, instead of "end," it wouldn't seem automatically "higher." We don't tend
to think of the formal cause in a biocentric, much less an intelligence-centric
way.

Yet sometimes some of us do think of form in that way. Although I've said that
Peirce didn't see semiosis embodied in the nonhuman physical world, he did at
least once say that _mind_ is at work in the growth of crystals and in the work
of bees (I assume he meant the honeycombs -- the "language" of bees wasn't
understood back then). He even says "...at any time, however, an element of
pure chance survives and will remain until the world becomes an absolutely
perfect, rational, and symmetrical system, in which Mind is at last
crystallized in the infinitely distant future" (CP: 6.33). (Incidentally, note
that Peirce says "infinitely distant future.")

If we think of the causes in a human way, we think of (1) decisions & efforts,
(2) means & resources, (3) ends, aims, & (4) solidifications, confirmations
(epistemic or ontic), etc. A structure can be a living, intelligent record, an
evolvable stability of tensions releasable and renovatable in agency. The "sore
thumb" issue pretty much fades. Likewise the "sore thumb" issue fades if one
considers the causes as associated with successive levels -- (1) forces (2)
matter (3) function (4) knowledge. Of course, it's hard to consider knowledge
as a cause by itself, without function, and there's no reason to regard it that
way, any more than one would consider function without matter or dynamics. But
to bring into relief what knowledge brings to the causal table, just consider
the roles of knowledge & expectations in a market.

However, I'd also note (going in the other direction), that the study of
dyanamic & mechanical systems seems to uncover a level at which decay doesn't
occur (e.g., a pure quantum system), and where the ends would instead be, I
suppose, various ways of conserving quantities in interactions.

1. mechanics, forces (variational principles (& inverse-varational processes?))
-->
conservation (efficient causes emphasized, sensitive dependence on initial
conditions)
2. thermodynamics, matter (stochastic processes) -->
decay (material causes emphasized, "averaging-out" or "steadying" dependence on
intermediate-stage conditions)
3. life (information processes) -->
growth (final causes emphasized, corrective & perfective dependence on
resultant conditions)
4. evolution & intelligent life (inference processes) -->
growth & decay, recycling & retaining, ongoingly renovated & occasionally
redesigned "sinks" (formal causes emphasized, logical & confirmational
dependence on after-effects, side effects -- evidentiary & sign conditions)

Best, Ben Udell