Dear Vinicius,

Thank you very much for the references. I've printed out the de Tienne and am finding it most valuable. I'll look up the Houser piece as well.

Best,

Gary

Vin¨cius Romanini wrote:
Dear Gary,

You might want to check this references on the subject.

De Tienne, A. Learning qua Semiosis

Houser, N. (1985). Toward a Peircean Semiotic Theory of Learning. The American Journal of Semiotics 5 – 2, 251-274.

Best,
Vinicius

Gary Richmond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
List,

Preparing  for the new college term, and needing to think this Fall not just about my students' learning, but as I am developing & leading a faculty seminar as well  (titled "Building Information Literacy in the Disciplines") I am compelled now to think also about learning in relation to teaching. As a dyed in the wool Peircean, I naturally first quizzed myself about what I imagined Peirce said about learning. After that preliminary questioning, some eCP searches quickly convinced me that I was correct regarding at least one thing, namely, that Peirce certainly had quite a bit to say about learning, research, inquiry, the relation of logic and psychology, etc. to all that, and much more.

So, at first I simply asked myself, what did I actually know, what could I even remember--without doing "string searches" on the eCP and such.--of what Peirce thought/taught about learning? The first thing that came to mind is that learning is somehow deeply implicated in reason itself and reason itself is not a matter merely of the famous corollary to it, "Do not block the way of inquiry" but something considerably deeper. So what exactly is the famous "First Rule of Reason" I asked myself? Something about 'wanting to learn' I vaguely remembered, but I couldn't think of the precise  language. This is how Peirce puts it:

The First Rule of Reason

    Upon this first, and in one sense this sole, rule of reason, that in order to learn you must desire to learn, and in so desiring not be satisfied with what you already incline to think, there follows one corollary which itself deserves to be inscribed upon every wall of the city of philosophy:
        Do not block the way of inquiry.
    Although it is better to be methodical in our investigations, and to consider the economics of research, yet there is no positive sin against logic in trying any theory which may come into our heads, so long as it is adopted in such a sense as to permit the investigation to go on unimpeded and undiscouraged. On the other hand, to set up a philosophy which barricades the road of further advance toward the truth is the one unpardonable offence in reasoning, as it is also the one to which metaphysicians have in all ages shown themselves the most addicted.
    Let me call your attention to [some] shapes in which this venomous error assails our knowledge:
    The first is the shape of absolute assertion. That we can be sure of nothing in science is an ancient truth. The Academy taught it. Yet science has been infested with over confident assertion. . .  more concerned with teaching than with learning, at all times."  [emphasis added. From Notes on Scientific Philosophy" CP 1.135-137]

Learning is then certainly not teaching, it does not pretend to know anything in any way approaching an absolute sense (knowledge may grow infinitely, but it is in no sense ever complete). One doesn't intellectually "have it" (whatever "it" may be) and then merely promulgate it as a philosopher or teacher. That attitude has been destructive of both philosophy and teaching. Of course it is possible that one may be tending toward the truth (that's what pragmatic inquiry is all about, right?), and certainly some individual person may be the first to have a crucial insight, make a fresh and important abduction, etc. so that the individual in certainly deeply implicated in the inquiry process (never the less, it is  possible to "fall in love with" with ones own theory, but this is not inquiry as Peirce conceives it), for inquiry is ultimately a communal affair, and anyone who denies that is fooling himself.

Therefore, I conclude with Peirce that learning comes about and is indeed an _expression_ of inquiry come of the very desire to learn (this is not as circular an argument as it may first seem). But how does this happen? One comes upon the notion that beyond simple consciousness and the sense of resistance comes another, a "third, synthetic consciousness, binding time together, sense of learning, thought."

. . . . . [E]very phenomenon of our mental life is more or less like cognition. Every emotion, every burst of passion, every exercise of will, is like cognition. But modifications of consciousness which are alike have some element in common. Cognition, therefore, has nothing distinctive and cannot be regarded as a fundamental faculty. If, however, we ask whether there be not an element in cognition which is neither feeling, sense, nor activity, we do find something, the faculty of learning, acquisition, memory and inference, synthesis. . .
    It seems, then, that the true categories of consciousness are: first, feeling, the consciousness which can be included with an instant of time, passive consciousness of quality, without recognition or analysis; second, consciousness of an interruption into the field of consciousness, sense of resistance, of an external fact, of another something; third, synthetic consciousness, binding time together, sense of learning, thought.
    If we accept these [as] the fundamental elementary modes of consciousness, they afford a psychological explanation of the three logical conceptions of quality, relation, and synthesis or mediation. The conception of quality, which is absolutely simple in itself and yet viewed in its relations is seen to be full of variety, would arise whenever feeling or the singular consciousness becomes prominent. The conception of relation comes from the dual consciousness or sense of action and reaction. The conception of mediation springs out of the plural consciousness or sense of learning. [from "A Guess at the Riddle")

It would appear then that the very notion of mediation "springs out of the plural consciousness or sense of learning". There are many interesting inquiries which might follow from considering any or all the above, for example:

*how is the plural consciousness a sense of learning?
*to what extent is research & inquiry a communal process?
*if the individual is in ways like a community and the community is like an individual, how do these two interpenetrate?
*learning is fallible; learning is continuous--what is the intersection here?
*as the first stage of inquiry is hypothesis formation which, while tending to come out of cumulative & communal understandings is essentially a matter of a personal abductive power (even when several individuals might come upon a particular abduction--e.g., evolution--at approximately the same time).
*at the personal/social levels, how do abduction/deduction/induction connect to each other in personal/historical processes?
*what is the role of the interpretant in all this? that is, how do symbols grow?

There are certainly many other questions and issues which could be raised here. I would be very interested in what other members of the list think about inquiry and learning. Below my signature are a very few additional carefully selected passages which I hope may serve as catalyst to fresh thinking in this important matter [note: emphasis is added by me in all cases]

Best,

Gary

CP 1.390 C. The genuine synthetic consciousness, or the sense of the process of learning, which is the preeminent ingredient and quintessence of the reason, has its physiological basis quite evidently in the most characteristic property of the nervous system, the power of taking habits.

CP 2.227 CHAPTER 2 DIVISION OF SIGNS: §1. GROUND, OBJECT, AND INTERPRETANT

Logic, in its general sense, is, as I believe I have shown, only another name for semiotic ({s¨meiötik¨}), the quasi-necessary, or formal, doctrine of signs. By describing the doctrine as "quasi-necessary," or formal, I mean that we observe the characters of such signs as we know, and from such an observation, by a process which I will not object to naming Abstraction, we are led to statements, eminently fallible, and therefore in one sense by no means necessary, as to what must be the characters of all signs used by a "scientific" intelligence, that is to say, by an intelligence capable of learning by experience.

CP 6.3 The difference comes to this, that the practical man stakes everything he cares for upon the hazard of a die, and must believe with all the force of his manhood that the object for which he strives is good and that the theory of his plan is correct; while the scientific man is above all things desirous of learning the truth and, in order to do so, ardently desires to have his present provisional beliefs (and all his beliefs are merely provisional) swept away, and will work hard to accomplish that object. This is the reason that a good practical man cannot do the best scientific work.

 CP 7.536 It remains to be shown that this element is the third Kainopythagorean category. All flow of time involves learning; and all learning involves the flow of time. Now no continuum can be apprehended except by a mental generation of it, by thinking of something as moving through it, or in some way equivalent to this, and founded upon it. For a mere dull staring at a superficies does not involve the positive apprehension of continuity. All that is given in such staring is a feeling which serves as a sign that the object might be apprehended as a continuum. Thus, all apprehension of continuity involves a consciousness of learning. In the next place, all learning is virtually reasoning; that is to say, if not reasoning, it only differs therefrom in being too low in consciousness to be controllable and in consequently not being subject to criticism as good or bad, -- no doubt, a most important distinction for logical purposes, but not affecting the nature of the elements of experience that it contains. In order to convince ourselves that all learning is virtually reasoning, we have only to reflect that the mere experience of a sense-reaction is not learning. That is only something from which something can be learned, by interpreting it. The interpretation is the learning. If it is objected that there must be a first thing learned, I reply that this is like saying that there must be a first rational fraction, in the order of magnitudes, greater than zero. There is no minimum time that an experience of learning must occupy. At least, we do not conceive it so, in conceiving time as continuous; for every flow of time, however short, is an experience of learning.

CP 7.536 Thus, every reasoning involves another reasoning, which in its turn involves another, and so on ad infinitum. Every reasoning connects something that has just been learned with knowledge already acquired so that we thereby learn what has been unknown. It is thus that the present is so welded to what is just past as to render what is just coming about inevitable. The consciousness of the present, as the boundary between past and future, involves them both. Reasoning is a new experience which involves something old and something hitherto unknown. The past as above remarked is the ego. My recent past is my uppermost ego; my distant past is my more generalized ego. The past of the community is our ego. In attributing a flow of time to unknown events we impute a quasi-ego to the universe. The present is the immediate representation we are just learning that brings the future, or non-ego, to be assimilated into the ego. It is thus seen that learning, or representation, is the third Kainopythagorean category.

CP 7.537 . There are no more Kainopythagorean categories than these three. For the first category is nonrelative experience, the second is experience of a dyadic relation, and the third is experience of a triadic relation. It is impossible to analyze a triadic relation, or fact about three objects, into dyadic relations; for the very idea of a compound supposes two parts, at least, and a whole, or three objects, at least, in all. On the other hand, every tetradic relation, or fact about four objects can be analyzed into a compound of triadic relations.

---
Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Do you Yahoo!?
Get on board. You're invited to try the new Yahoo! Mail. --- Message from peirce-l forum to subscriber [EMAIL PROTECTED]