Gary:

This is not the venue for debating the similarities and contrasts between traditional Occident and Orient. I'll respond as briefly as I can, and we can proceed through personal e-mails if you like. First, an agreement: if you abstract all particularity--an example would be Huxley's The Perennial Philosophy--then, yes, most of the world's religious world views look somewhat alike. They all encourage us to get our egos out of the way to serve the Absolute, whether God or Brahma. But I suggest when you get down into the trenches, into the details where the devil lurks, the differences do matter. If you really believe that the "deepest currents of culture in East and West differ mostly in accidental respects such as terminology, and it behooves us to see through the differences," in spite of all that has been written to the contrary by both eastern and western scholars, I doubt that anything I say will change your view.

To deny what I said of the Bhagavad Gita, you have to deny what is written there. I've seen Ghandi's commentary, and whether he liked the Gita or not is irrelevant. He, in fact, treated the Mahabharata War as allegorical. But would he assert that the principle of selfless action as illustrated is wrong? If a real Arjuna argued with a real Krishna that killing all those people was unthinkably wrong, should he go with his ego rather than with god-defined dharma? Even as allegory, my point remains: Arjuna was not the author of the deaths of his kinsmen and others on the battle field, and had no responsibility for "his" actions. There was no him or his. That is all maya, an illusion of ego. How can there be personal responsibility in selfless action? But Ghandi's life provides a good illustration of the difference between East and West. Imagine the difference in outcome of his passive resistance had he not been dealing with the British but with an Arjuna of his own religion. Was Ghandi deficient in conscience? If he had one, yes. Arjuna had a conscience, and that was his problem. Conscience is a western ego-thing. Dharma knows no conscience.

I should add, I don't think religion defines a culture. Ego is a human phenomenon; after all, eastern wisdom literature wasn't aimed at westerners, but at its own people. Enlightenment is probably as rare in the East as saints are in the West. But as ideals, different religions make great cultural differences. One of the most persistent mistakes the West makes in foreign relations is the "pigs is pigs" fallacy: people are people.

I don't think there are any easy moral equivalencies to be made between traditional East and West. Obviously as secularization and western-style industrialization of the East proceeds (rapidly), the differences shrink. In my own views, I'm probably more Taoist than anything else, and I certainly don't think western culture is the Way to go. On the other hand, I think it is the western view of the individual life as valuable and to be nurtured in self actualization rather than exploited by the state that has given rise to the idea of human/civil rights/liberties that was not present in the traditional Orient.

Bill

Gary F wrote, in part:

Bill, & list,

I'm surprised to see this part of your message though:

[[ One of the strong-holds of the unitive world-view you seem to prefer
has been the traditional Orient, where life has historically been
cheaper than dirt and mass exterminations of humans nearly routine.  A
modern example is Maoist purges and the rape and pillage of Tibet.  Mao
and Stalin each surpassed Hitler's atrocities. ]]

So did the European invasion of what we now call the Americas. History
does not at all bear out your suggestion that genocide is an "oriental"
phenomenon or that life is cheaper on the other side of the world.

[[ For the human to assume responsibility is an act of hubris.  Isn't
that the message of the Bhagavad Gita?   So kill away, oh nobly born,
and forget this conscience thing, an obvious lapse into ego. ]]

No, that is not the message of the Bhagavad Gita. You might have a look
at Gandhi's commentary on it -- Gandhi (1926), ed. John Strohmeier
(2000), The Bhagavad Gita According to Gandhi (Berkeley, CA: Berkeley
Hills). Gandhi acknowledged the Gita as the main inspiration for his
life and work. Would you say that he was deficient in conscience?

As i hinted in my previous message, i see a close parallel to Peirce's
ideal of scientific method (or of the motivation for it) in the
bodhisattva ideal of Mahayana Buddhism, which is simply that one vows to
work for universal enlightenment, not for private salvation or personal
attainment of nirvana. The more i study them, the more i'm convinced
that the deepest currents of culture in East and West differ mostly in
accidental respects such as terminology, and it behooves us to see
through the differences.

However i don't cling to this thesis tenaciously ... if you can present
evidence to the contrary, by all means do so!