At 04:27 PM 9/30/2006, Gary Richmond wrote:
John and Peirce list,

This is very shocking and sad news of the loss of a fine scholar and, in my estimation, a great soul. Over the years Arnold and I had a number of fruitful email exchanges on Peirce-l and privately. Late last year he sent me a report which included analyses relating to the theme you mentioned in your note to the Peirce list. You wrote:
[JC] Arnold was well on his way to giving a Peircean response to Arrow's paradox of social choice by rejecting Arrow's explicitly nominalist assumptions on ordering, using the idea of sequence instead, as found in Peirce.
Arnold attached the paper to an off-list note which included these comments:

Your mail discussing logica docens and logica utens in the
classification of the sciences rang a bell for me [. . .]  Earlier
this year I completed a longish
report on the problem of research policy in occupational health and
safety in mining, in which, amongst other topics, I considered the
role of the docens-utens classification in the process of evaluating
research proposals in this field.  Given that you have brought the
subject up, but not anticipating any general interest on the list in
my going-on about committees and research (about which Winston
Churchill had some rather acerbic opinions, BTW), I thought I'd send
you a PDF of the report just for something to read over the
mid-semester break.

 . . I left out the second Appendix because that's available in the
Intelex CP (it's CSP's Note on the Economy of
Research).
In another email earlier this year Arnold wrote that he wanted "to rewrite the report to take greater account of the Impossibility Tradition in economics (Kenneth Arrow, Amartya K Sen, and others), with a view to exploring ways that the logic of relations in this tradition might benefit from an explicitly Peircean reworking of the topic"  Do you know if a completed version of the paper Arnold was working on is available, John? If so, would it be possible to make it available (perhaps Joe Ransdell could put it on Arisbe)?

This is interesting, Gary. I have a draft of Chapter 1 of Arnold's thesis, which is definitely not ready for publication, plus I have a final version of his thesis project when he died. This is fairly complete, as I recall, but I will need to look at it again. I remember the day I became convinced that Arnold really was on to something -- it was talking to him after I read this version of his proposal. Mostly, since then I was just getting him to be familiar with recent relevant work by philosophers on conventions. He found chapter 2 of Ruth Millikan's recent book, Language: A Biological Model very supportive of his approach, but diverging in the emphasis on the origins -- not on the historical aspect.

Cheers,

John

Professor John Collier                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Philosophy and Ethics, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban 4041 South Africa
T: +27 (31) 260 3248 / 260 2292       F: +27 (31) 260 3031
http://www.nu.ac.za/undphil/collier/index.html ---