Title: RE: [peirce-l] Re: What

Tenacity is not a method of inquiry. A person who is tenacious does not doubt and hence has no annoying disturbance that would require him to inquire. He knows.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Ransdell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sun 10/8/2006 1:10 PM
To: Peirce Discussion Forum
Subject: [peirce-l] Re: What

Jeff Kasser (JK) says:

  JK:   First, I'm not sure what sort of special relationship  the two  psychological laws in question need to bear to the method  of tenacity.  If they're in fact psychological (i.e. psychical)  laws, then it would be unsurprising if the other methods of inquiry  made important use of them.  I thought that the only special  connection between the laws and tenacity is that the method tries to  deploy those laws simply and directly.

  REPLY
  (by JR = Joe Ransdell):

  JR:  Peirce says,  of the tenacious believer:

  ". . . if he only succeeds -- basing his method, as he does, on two fundamental psychological laws . . .".

  That seems to me plainly to be saying that the method of tenacity is  based on two fundamental psychological laws.  It would be odd for  him to say "basing his method, like every other is based, on two  psychological laws" in a passage in which he is explaining that method  in particular.  And if he wanted to say that this method is  different from the others in that it applies these laws "simply and  directly" whereas the others do not then I would expect him to say  something to indicate what an indirect and complicated use of them  would be like.  Also, to say that use of such laws (whatever they  may be) occurs in all four methods would contradict what he frequently  says in the drafts of the essay and seems to think especially important  there but which does not appear in the final version of the paper  except in "How to Make Our Ideas Clear", where it is not emphasized as  being of special importance, namely, that in the fourth method the  conclusions reached are
 different from what was held at the beginning  of the inquiry.  This is true in two ways.  First, because in  the fourth method one concludes to something from premises (the  starting points)  which are not identical to the conclusion with  which the inquiry ends; and, second, because, sometimes, at  least,  the starting points of different inquirers in the same  inquiring community in relation to the same question  will be  different because the initial observations which function as the basis  for the conclusions ultimately drawn are different (as in the passage  two or three pages from the end of "How to Make Our Ideas Clear" about  investigation into the velocity of light.) Great weight is put upon  that sort of convergence as at least frequently occurring in the use of  the fourth method.  Moreover, the third method is not one in which  use of the two laws is characteristic since it depends upon a tendency  for people to come to agreement in the course of discussion
 over some  period of time though they do not agree initially.  (There is no  convergence toward truth but only toward agreement, since use of the  third method in respect to the same question in diverse communities can  result in the settlement of opinion by agreement in diverse communities  which will, however, often leave the various communities is  disagreement with one another about what they have severally come to  internal agreement on.
 There is something of importance going on  in his understanding of this particular point, Jeff, about the  relationship of the starting points of inquiry to the conclusion of it  that has to do with the logic of the movement from the first to the  fourth method, as is evident in the draft material from 1872 in  Writings 3, but is more difficult to discern in the final version where  the discussion of the four methods is partially in the Ideas article as  well as the Fixation article, which are really all of a piece.

  JK:  Next, can you help me see more clearly how the passage you  quote in support of your suggestion that Peirce has in mind laws  concerning the properties of neural tissue, etc. is supposed to yield  *two* psychological (in any sense of "psychological," since you rightly  point out that idioscopic laws might be fair game at this point)  laws?  I don't love my interpretation and would like to find a way  of reading Peirce as clearer and less sloppy about this issue.   But I don't see how your reading leaves us with two laws that Peirce  could have expected the reader to extract from the text.

  JR:  I don't think he necessarily expected the readers to extract  them from the text, Jeff, since it would not be necessary for his  purposes there for the reader to do so.  It is possible that in  fact he did provide some explicit clues, at least, to what he had in  mind in some draft version not yet generally available, but I don't  find any place in what is in print (in Writings 3 and CP 7 in the  section on the Logic of l873) where there is any explicit attempt at  identifying them. It may only be a learned allusion to what someone of  the time would be familiar with from the inquiries into psychological  matters that were starting up around that time in Europe.
       If they pertained to the first method but not  the fourth he would not have any logical need to make sure that the  reader knew what he was alluding to, given that his aim in the paper  was primarily to establish an understanding of the fourth method  only.   As regards why I think the two psychological laws  might have had something to do with neural responsiveness, I say this  because of the reference to that sort of consideration at the end of  section 3 of the Fixation article.  Whatever these laws are,  though, they would have to be ones that could be instantiated by the  will of the person threatened with the prospect of losing a belief,  such that a result would be the reinforcement of the shaky belief such  as would be involved in deliberately avoiding any further exposure to  possible doubt-inducing ideas and in the repeating of reassuring  experiences.  But how to formulate anything like that which might  pass muster as a  psychological law simply escapes
 me.

  Joe

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]