"Beck, Jonas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Well, as i said before: i want to use PEL to manipulate a LOT of
> pictures. Right now I am at a point where it is working smoothly,
> for a certain amount of pictures. But there is a memoryleak in PEL.
>
> [...]

PEL actually has a place where it accumulates stuff (and so leaks
memory if one isn't aware of it): the Pel::$exceptions array in which
it saves not-so-dangerous exceptions for later inspection by the
programmer. You can clear the list with Pel::clearExceptions().

I am not sure that this idea of saving exceptions is such a brilliant
idea anyway... I just wanted to make it easy to parse somewhat broken
images.

Pel::$exceptions is the only place I can think of where PEL would
accumulate stuff.

> As I don't have the time at work to fix PEL, I have no way but to
> manipulate my pictures in blocks of about 10K pics. That way the
> consumed memory goes up to about 600mbs, but at least that still
> works.

Uhh, that is still quite a lot of RAM :-(

> MfG Jonas Beck
>
> PS: A shame that nobody has time to continue PEL on a regular basis
> - being one of the only easily scriptable ways to manipulate EXIF
> data and so on. In my opinion there will be even more people who
> could use PEL in the next months - most Companies havent really
> cared about metadata till now (like the one I work for).

Yeah, it is a shame... I will stick around and try to help, but I am
shifting my focus away from PHP. I am only hoping that I have brought
the project to a usable and maintainable point so that someone else
with more motivation can take over.

You are most welcome to get SVN access, then you could apply your
patch to get the WinXP strings working. I'm sure a lot of Windows
users would love that.

--
Martin Geisler  ---  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  ---  http://mgeisler.net