I tend to agree with most of the posts from Doug Henwood. I tend to agree with
most of the post from Paul Zaremka. Hence, the recent disagreement between
Comrades Zaremka and Henwood -- to the point of irritation of Brother Paul
-- created an existential crisis of the higher order for me. :):):)

Let me respond to Zaremka's question on changes in the minimum wage with the
following example.

r = S/(C + V) = (p - k)*Q/K = (p - k)*(Q/L)/(K/L)

p = unit selling price
k = unit cost (wages, circulating capital, depreciation)
Q = output
L = size of productive labor force
K = fixed capital investment

Suppose between timeperiod t and timeperiod t + n that both productivity
(Q/L) and capital intensity (K/L) have increased, but capital intensity has
increased faster than productivity. So, capital per unit of output (K/Q) is
less at period t than period t + n.

Under this scenario, equal rates of profit at t and t + n will require a
higher rate of exploitation at time t + n than at time t, i.e., (p -
k)*(Q/L) at time t + n will have to be higher than at time t.

r(t)       = [p(t) - k(t)]         * [q(t)]      / [K(t)/L(t)]
(1)
r(t+n)   = [p(t+n) - k(t+n)]* [q(t+n)]  / [K(t+n)/L(t+n)]

  [K(t+n)/L(t+n)]   >      [q(t+n)]   > 1
(2)
  [K(t)/L(t)]                    [q(t)]

The intertemporal change in capital intensity exceeds the intertemporal
change in
productivity, which exceeds unity. Hence if let r(t) = r(t+n) = r then we
may write:

       [q(t+n)]  =  *  [K(t+n)/L(t+n)]                      (3)
       [q(t)] *  [K(t)/L(t)]

By equation (2): [p(t) - k(t)]/ [p(t+n) - k(t+n)]  < 1.

So, both Zaremka and Henvood have partially correct. The tremendous rise in
productivity does create room for a rise in the minimum wage. But, the increase
in productivity may have occurred with an even greater increase in capital
intensity.
In which case, there are definitely limits to the increase in any particular
capital's
wage rate before profitability is threatened.

Of course, Howard Botwinick discussed all of this in his book, Persistent
Inequalities. Any, I also discussed these issues in my August CJE article.
Crass self promotion? Yeah.

peace, patrick l mason