Equilibrium might have been a central concept with Marshall but he was aware
that there might not be one under certain cost conditions. Telser  says of
Marshall:   "This conclusion, together with Marshall's well-known statement that
a seller might not lower his price 'for fear of spoiling the market' is strong
evidence of his sophisticated comprehension of the nature of a competitive
equilibrium."  (p. 53 of A Theory of efficient cooperation and competition)