The term, political economy, grew out of the earlier turn, economy, which meant
the management of an estate.  In the 17th century, Montechretian wrote the first
book using the term political economy.  He meant managing not just a single
estate, but the whole state.  It was not so much that it was political, as Paul
suggests the modern usage implies.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department