I agree very much with Tom Walker's point below, which is snipped from his
longer post.  The simultaneity of examining both the material conditions
and the "work of art" itself goes right to heart of what I think is
necessary.  And, I doubt very many would disagree on this list, as I doubt
there are very many die-hard strong economic determinists around.

But I also agree with a comment that Hayden White made a while ago when he
said that Marxists, especially, aren't very good at analyzing culture.
Personally, I have found postmodernism, and Derrida/Foucault especially, as
providing a useful entry to a more serious analysis of literature, art,
culture, etc.

Certainly, if one reads _Specters of Marx_ you won't find Derrida denying
the effectivity of material conditions, just the opposite, but detailing
that is not his object or his strength.  But you will find a detailed
reading of a some important texts and political conditions, both from now
and in the past, and for Derrida to come out and argue (1) that there are
many Marx's, ie, no one single reading of his text(s), and (2) that some of
these Marx's are entirely unavoidable in confronting today's problems is, I
think, a remarkable statement.

I don't think we should dematerialize or decontextualize Derrida and
deconstruction.  Afterall, for many, Derrida and deconstruction are
synonomous with the claim that everthing is a discourse and the belief that
there is no firm ground from which to take a political position.  And yet,
here was this putative non-materialist arguing that Marx is entirely
uncircumventable in today's world. And, this purveyor of a supposed
non-political literary method, deconstruction, dedicating his book in a
moving forward to the recently murdered Chris Hani, who was murdered as a
communist by a Polish emigrant escaping communism.

There is no question in my mind that Derrida, in his lectures and in the
book, was making clear which side he was on.  He was making clear that
deconstruction (or as I would extend it, but he might not, postmodernism),
while not implying a particular position on social theory, does not
preclude one either.  One just needs to listen to McCloskey to know that.

Is it the most profound book written on Marx or about the world (in some
sense) today?  Certainly not.  All you have to do is read the critiques of
it from his friends, eg, Ernesto Laclau and Gayatri Spivak in a recent
issue of Diacritics to see this.  Yet, Fred Jameson, no fan of a
dematerialized postmodernism, could see a lot of value in this work (as do
I obviously) in his long review article in New Left Review.  My point is
that there is something there worth reading, but that is, of course, true
of many books and we do have to make choices.

As Jerry Levy has been emphasizing, I agree that theory is hard and not
easily encapsulated in 15 minute sound-bites. It is also true that theory
is not everything.  I think to understand the importance of a theory, or a
book, we need also see how that book or theory fits into a broader
intellectual, material, and cultural context.

It is the same thing that Althusser did in the early 60s. When he wrote his
famous essays, he was clear that they were being written in a particular
conjuncture, one where he was a member of the French communist party, yet
was critiqueing the orthodox French Marxism of the immediate post-Stalin
era.

To understand what I and others see as important in postmodernism and
deconstruction you have to keep in mind the recent context of both
postmodernism and Marxism (which we have pointed out too many times to
repeat again).  That would give you a materialist understanding of why so
many are attracted to various strands of postmodernism.

Steve Cullenberg

>Exactly. Or, to put it slightly differently, what if "explanation" is not
>all there is? What happens when we expand the range of cultural expression
>to include not just philosophical texts and didactic comic books, but
>painting, music composition, architectural design, performance, etc. In my
>view, such a broadening of scope requires us to simultaneously examine
>_both_ the material conditions of cultural production and the internal
>tendencies of the "work of art" itself.
>
>And this brings us back to Walter Benjamin, who in my estimation continues
>to have something to say to contemporary political conditions in spite of --
>or perhaps because of -- his philosophical erudition.
>Regards,
>
>Tom Walker, [EMAIL PROTECTED], (604) 669-3286
>The TimeWork Web: http://mindlink.net/knowware/worksite.htm

Stephen Cullenberg                      office:  (909) 787-5037, ext. 1573
Department of Economics                 fax:     (909) 787-5685
University of California                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Riverside, CA 92521