On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Blair Sandler wrote:

> I hate to say it but UMass Amherst is the obvious place to go, with Rick
> Wolff, Steve Resnick, Sam Bowles, Nancy Folbre (and Ann Ferguson down the
> hall), Julie Graham in geography, David Kotz, Jim Crotty, Jim Boyce, even
> (shudder) Herb Gintis.  :)  Whatever anyone thinks of any of these
> individuals or their work, UMass offers a broad range of different
> heterodox perspectives on social theory.

Jen, Blair,

        As someone who was
suspended  from Steve Resnick's class for daring to disagree with him
(in a non-disruptive  academic way - Eric Neilson , Gary Dymsky, and others
who were in t hat class are my witnesses) , I would not put him on this
list.  I found the essentially dogmatic view of Marxism espoused by
Resnick and
Wolf (in 1981 - I havn't bothered to keep up with their stuff since for
obvious reasons) to be profoundly disturbing and distressing.
        I know this debate has been had (p-robably many times) on Pen-L,
but I thought my experience might be of interest (Jen, if you go to U
Mass which does have some excellent people , I would advise that you
steer clear - as much as possible of R&W).

In Solidarity,

Ron Baiman
Roosevelt Univ.
Chicago, IL