Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:52:19 +1100
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: bill mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Full translation of Castro speech

At 15:48 22/01/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Before you give the Pope too much credit, he is a far cry from Pope John.
>Also, the rhetoric is not far from that of Solzhenitsin (sp?).  The Pope
>has supported just about every repressive regime around the world.  He was
>the first to recognize the Haitian coup, if I remember correctly.

Yes michael. Before any radical on the left gets too carried away with
all this catholic mumbo jumbo they should reflect on the role of the church
in countries where people have been brainwashed into believing the nonsense
they call their faith. usually pro-capitalist, anti-environment. they tried
to expel the liberation theologians.

why castro would even have the old bastard in cuba amazes me.

kind regards
bill
         ####    ##        William F. Mitchell
       #######   ####      Head of Economics Department
     #################     University of Newcastle
   ####################    New South Wales, Australia
   ###################*    E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   ###################     Phone: +61 49 215065
    #####      ## ###      Fax:   +61 49 216919
                           Mobile: 0419 422 410
                  ##

WWW Home Page: http://econ-www.newcastle.edu.au/~bill/billyhp.html

Response: I think it was more in the order of a tactical compromise
for the purpose of achieving some kind of leverage or authority to
help end the social systems destabilization campain and embargo that
is creating a lot of misery for the people of Cuba.

Personally, I wish that Fidel had mentioned the Ratline (Vatican
assistance to fleeing Nazi war criminals), the 1933 Concordat with
the Nazis (Pope Pius XI prasing Nazis as "voctors for Christianity
and a bulwark against Bolshevism"), high-level elements of the Church
supporting fascist regimes/despots while preaching against grass-
roots political action and "liberation theology" by rank-and-file
Priests and Nuns (and a few higher level elements like Archbishop
Romero), the Pope's collaboration with the CIA and the misery caused
by destabilization campaigns against Poland and Eastern Europe (while
preaching against secular political action by Priests and Nuns), the
1498 Papal Encyclical commanding either conversion or extermination
of indigenous peoples, the patronizing patriarchy and patriarchal
attitudes toward women, etc etc.

                               Jim Craven

*                             "Who controls the past,               *
*  James Craven              controls the future.                   *
*  Dept of Economics           Who controls the present,            *
*  Clark College             controls the past." (George Orwell)    *
*  1800 E. Mc Loughlin Blvd.                                        *
*  Vancouver, Wa. 98663  (360) 992-2283  FAX:  (360)992-2863        *
*  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                                *
* MY EMPLOYER HAS NO ASSOCIATION WITH MY PRIVATE/PROTECTED OPINION  *