Comment:

Not as an "excuse" but if that empty pretentious rhetoric and totured
syntax given in the example from Butler that won the
Doublespeak/Gobbledegook Prize is an example of her normal prose and
speech, I would need at least six Captain Morgan spiced Rums
to go to hear her and six more to begin to deconstruct the
deconstructionist to find some small pearl of something worth
considering.

I wonder how many working class women or women on Reservations could
relate to or understand the rhetoric in the example of Butler's
writings given in the Doublespeak award? I suspect few if any. Just
as progressives need to deal with issues that matter to workers in
language that is understandable and allows feedback from those
workers and oppressed the same applies to the so-called Feminists
about issues and language that matter to women. Otherwise, it is
nothing but narcissism, careerism, opportunism, market-nicheism,
semantic masturbation, CV-buildingism  and pretentious crap. That's
OK but label it for what it is and please take it to the right-wing
and out of progressive issues and movements where serious issues in
comprehensible language and subordination of big egos are desperately
needed.

I openly admit ignorance to much of Butler's work--not self-imposed
igorance simply as a result of scarcity of time and other pressing
issues e.g. genocide in Indian Country. I am open to being shown that
I have missed and/or fail to see some substance and penetrating
insights that would be valuable for my teaching or activism. But so
far, as for an "impression", I just see another pretentious and
narcissistic academic careerist latching on to a unique market niche
and I most certainly do not see evidence of "one of the ten smartest
people on the planet."

Jim Craven

On 20 Jan 99 at 13:10, Rosser Jr, John Barkley wrote:

> Jerry,
>     But, gee, Louis has confessed to all of us his bad
> behavior.  We now know that he was drunk at the LM
> conference, by his own admission, and that he skipped
> crucial sessions because he was in his room reading, by his
> own admission.  So, we can all see what his behavior was
> and judge for ourselves.
>      Why doesn't this satisfy you?
> Barkley
> PS:  Congrats on finally opening the OPE-L archives.
> On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 06:56:43 -0500 (EST) Gerald Levy
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Reply to Michael P:
> >
> > a) I did not re-raise this issue. Proyect did when he revealed his drunken
> > behavior, etc. at the "Rethinking Marxism" conference.  Blame him.
> >
> > b) There was nothing in my post that could fit any reasonable definition
> > of a flame.
> >
> > c) The *reason* this issue won't go away is because it is a legitimate one
> > to raise.
> >
> > d) You say that Proyect is a "valuable member" of PEN-L. THIS WAS
> > GUARANTEED TO EVOKE A RESPONSE FROM ME. How is Proyect "valuable"? Is he
> > valuable when he libels the late Paul Mattick Sr. the other day? Is he
> > valuable when he sends us *daily* doses of *SPAM*  Yes, spam.
> > Posts that have *nothing* to do with PEN-L, were authored for another
> > list, and are sent here as junk mail. Is this "valuable"? (I won't even
> > bother going into Proyect's other "valuable" contributions here -- like
> > the time he engaged in and later admitted to outrageous sexism on this
> > list). BUT, MICHAEL, YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. If you don't want us
> > -- anyone on this list -- to say anything to or about Proyect, fine. I
> > can live with that. But, if you  have praise for him, then you MUST expect
> > and allow those with a contrary perspective to be heard.
> >
> > Jerry
> >

> --
> Rosser Jr, John Barkley
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 James Craven
 Dept. of Economics,Clark College
 1800 E. McLoughlin Blvd. Vancouver, WA. 98663
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Tel: (360) 992-2283 Fax: 992-2863
"The utmost good faith shall always be observed towards Indians; their land and
property shall never be taken from them without their consent."
(Northwest Ordinance, 1787, Ratified by Congress 1789)

"To speak of atrocious crimes in mild language is treason to virtue." (Edmund Burke)

*My Employer  has no association with My Private and Protected Opinion*