-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Hahnel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 1999 11:33 AM
To: Louis Proyect
Subject: Re: [PEN-L:3052] Aztecs

> We have to be careful not to confuse Aztec or Inca domination over the
> tribes in their empire with what the Europeans did. In general, the
> Aztecs and Incas ruled with a relatively light hand.

I am aware that the issue of violence and even genocide prior to
Europeans' arrival in the "New" World, and comparisons with the violence
and genocide perpetrated by european conquorers is politically
sensitive. For the record: I believe that almost all non-indigenist
accounts of the magnitude of the crimes committed by European conquorers
seriously underestimate their true horror. And I believe that violence
and genocidal practices in the New World prior to the European arrival
were significantly less than what Europeans perpetrated. I am also sure
there were considerable differences in this regard in different eras and
parts of the pre-Columbian Americas, as there were among different
European conquorers in different places and times. Howver, I do not
think that an accurate characterization of the Incan empire could ever
include the phrase "in general the Incans ruled with a relatively light
hand."

I don't wish to get into a casual debate on this subject but suggest
that any who are interested undertake their own investigation of
evidence concerning the policies of the Incan empire. When I lived in
Peru in 1985-86 I read histories written by indigenist Peruvian leftist
professors at San Marcos University that reviewed manuscipts written by
Spanish priests who interviewd Incan rulers about their policies and
attitudes toward various indigenous civilizations they had conquored
prior to the Spaniards arrival. In effect this was self testimony by
those who ran the Incan empire -- not the views of the conquored groups,
nor of the Spaniards. The accounts literally made my hair stand on end.
For starters one might read about the Incan conquest of the culturally
superior Chimu civilization on the Northern Peruvian coast whose 60 year
resistance ended shortly before Pizzaro's arrival.

It is also well known among those who work for land reform in Peru that
there have long been serious problems with competing indigenist claims
against colonial landowners, the reason being that Incan empirial policy
was to move conquored populations from their homes to other parts of the
Incan empire, and to resettle newly conquored areas with populations who
had been conquored previously and were now considered more loyal (or
subdued.) The result is often that two or more indigenist groups have
reasonable competing claims to land the Spaniards eventually seized. The
Incan rule of thumb was to relocate a conquored people a distance
proportional to the length of time it had taken the Incans to conquor
them. I suspect some of those forced marches from costal homelands
across the Andes were not unlike the "trails of tears" the Cherokees and
Seminoles marched -- absent one truly distinguishing feature of the
European conquest, devastating disease.

> These were tributory
> societies that did not differ from what existed in India, China, or >
Europe
> for that matter.
>
> The European invasion of the Americas, Africa and Asia destroyed the > old
> tributory societies and replaced them with commodity producing >
plantations
> and mines that were completely destructive.
>
> I am no expert on the Aztecs, but I have studied the Incas. They >
combined
> many economically and ecologically diverse communities into an >
impressive
> network of trade from Colombia to Argentina. The Spanish destroyed all
> this. The key is commodity production, which we should never lose > sight
of.
> Wampum is not money. The Aztec or Inca empire was different from the
> mercantile capitalism of the 16th century.
>
> Louis Proyect

I have no disagreement with much of the rest of the above. And I have
been made aware that the ecological technology present throughout the
Incan empire in many ways was more advanced than any found in the same
places today. [My daughter is an archeologist currently studying
potentially superior ancient agricultural techniques of pre-Columbian
Andes civilizations.] However the word "combined" in the above account
can disguise a world of imperial sins. I might also note that among
Peruvian archaeolists of my acquaintance the Incans themselves -- the
conquorers from the Cuzco area -- were generally considered to be less
advanced not only culturally but also in agricultural technology than
many of the civilizations they conquored. However, as one Peruvian
friend of mine put it, "there should be no doubting that the Incans did
know how to make other people carry rocks for them."