Paul,
      I agree that this is disquieting information.  I must
admit that I really do not know what Zimmerman's
motives were in 1992.  I know that you are convinced
of this effort to break up Yugoslavia for economic
imperialism motives.  But by 1992, that had already
happened.  Triggering a war in B-H served no purpose
whatsoever to such an end, near as I can tell anyway.
      BTW, one of the reasons that I have been so focused
on old Milosevic is that the minute I first heard of his June
28, 1989 speech at Kosovo Polje I had a terrible premonition
that it meant war in both Kosovo-Metohija and more widely
throughout Yugoslavia.   Ugh.  I would note that at that time the
USSR was still intact as was the CMEA and the Warsaw Pact.
Communist governments still ruled throughout this zone,
although negotiations were on in Poland that would remove
the one there.  The Berlin Wall still stood and Yugoslavia
was stilled viewed broadly in the US as a crypto-ally against
all of the above as it was not in either of those broad groupings.
The IMF was imposing stuff on Yugoslavia, but it was running
a hyperinflation and had high foreign debts.
      BTW, I am going to be withdrawing from pen-l for awhile.
This is not in protest of anything but because I am facing
heightened personal responsibilities right now as well as
professional pressures.  I have already pulled off lbo-talk
for the same reasons.  I might note that the professional
pressures are related to getting the first volume of the second
edition of my _From Catastrophe to Chaos: A General Theory
of Economic Discontinuities_ out.  I bring this up to thank
Michael Perelman.  He had a hand in its initial publication in
1991 after having been rejected by 13 publishers.
       One can see the crucial math chapter ("The Mathematics
of Discontinuity") up on my website, listed again below.
      I'll be back.  Behave yourselves in the meantime.
Barkley Rosser
tel: 540-568-3212
fax: 540-568-3010
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]