-----Original Message-----
From: Wojtek Sokolowski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 1999 12:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEN-L:10550] Re: RE: "MODERN SCIENCE is a product of
capitalism"

At 11:50 AM 9/1/99 -0700, Jim C. wrote:
>If "modern science" is the only "science", then why is it that Incas,
>Aztecs, Mayans, Mississippians and other Indigenous cultures were able to
>construct cities and structures that, in terms of scale and precision,
could
>not be duplicated with the most advanced measurement and engineering
methods
>and instruments available today? Why is it that Indigenous cultures have
had
>remedies for various ailments for thousands of years and dietary regimens
>that "modern" science is only now discovering (yew bark, green-lipped
>mussels, Noni plant etc)? Why is it that Indigenous cultures have
>traditionally employed non-linear and non-reductionistic paradigms that
>"modern science" seeks today after the failures and irrelevance of the
>ultra-reductionistic, positivist and linear paradigms and methods?
>
>The reductionist separation of scientific "method" from the content and
>focus and scope of "scientific method" alows this notion of "value free"
>or non-class or non-system specific "science". It is a myth in my opinion.

Jim, I think you are confusing science with scientism - which is a form of
positivist ideology.  You have to distinguish genuine scientific research
from intellectual commodity production at universities.  Oftentimes, the
product is pre-dtermined before the methodology is applied. i.e. needed
conclusions are supplied by the sponsor, or a "discovery" is needed to
obtain tenure, funding, patent rights or celebrity status.  In such cases,
indeed, scientific method is nothing more than a ritual, ex post  facto
rationalization to prop us the intellectual product.

But that does not mean that the method is useless when applied to genuine
research. There is plenty of opposition among genuine researchers to
various reductionisms.

I think part of the problem is your discipline - economics, especially the
us variety, is pretty positivist and reductionistic, comparing to other
social sciences.

wojtek

Wojtek,

I agree with you here. My only point is that if one sees the scientific
method as involving dialectially-related processes of adduction and
deduction, with prediction and application and replicabilitiy as ongoing
tests/purging devices, and if one sees adduction as a methodical process of
deriving meaningful data from which progressivly wider and wider patterns,
correlations, functional relationships, interrelationships, hypotheses,
generalizations, principles, axioms and even "laws" can be "validly" formed
and supported (not "proved" see Hume's Fallacy of Induction) or adduced, and
then also involving meaningful as opposed to polemically-contrived
deductions and applications, then it is obvious from the products, that
Indigenous cultures have been employing "scientific method" for a long long
time--even in non-Indigenous terms.

Where I live here on the Oregon/Washington border, we have all sorts of
physicists, geologists, anthropologists, economists etc claiming as "new
discoveries", fundamental facts and relationships about "nature" and
"society" that were explicitly or implicitly alluded to in Indian Lodge
Tales going back hundreds of years.

Jim C