Over the years, my teaching evaluations have varied from the top to the
bottom of the scale. It seems to have little to do with what I do in the
class room. (although it does depend on which course I am teaching). I have
also found that the better the class the better I do (positive
reinforcement, perhaps). I have read the evaluation to discover frequently
cited problems with my delivery, and tried to improve those areas.

In my experience about 90 percent of the instructors score about 7.5 on the
scale with a few below and one or two above. The differentiation is
insufficient for administration to use the scores for anything other than to
pick on someone they already have in their sights for other reasons. I don't
think most profs have anything to worry about with student evaluations being
made public. And students don't seem to care what the politics of the
professor are.

Rod Hay
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
The History of Economic Thought Archives
http://socserv2.mcmaster.ca/~econ/ugcm/3ll3/index.html
Batoche Books
http://members.tripod.com/rodhay/batochebooks.html
http://www.abebooks.com/home/BATOCHEBOOKS/