Rod Hay wrote:

> I think this confuses things. An idea is not matter. It seems as if someone
> has made an ideological committment to "materialism" and then decides that
> racism exists and is important therefore it must be matter. Racism is an
> ideology (i.e., a system of ideas). Electricity is a material force. Human
> labour is a material force. It is important to keep the two concepts
> separate. I think Jim D. was trying to show that ideas and material forces
> exist in a dialectical relation. I wouldn't argue with that. But an idea is
> not matter!!!!!

  Technically, ideas occur or are originated in brains and brains are
physical things. In principle it is possible to identify ideas as
certain neurophysiological  and chemical processes and argue that these
processes do not fully explain the content of the idea so that there is
room for ideas to be, at least partially, determined by
social/historical forces. If you are a materialist, there is only
physical matter and nothing else. If you are a Platonist then ideas
exist in the "forms" or in universals whose ontological status is kind
of fuzzy. The question is: will the laws of
physical matter, ultimately, explain everything? Is sociology just
physics and engineering?

Sam Pawlett