Hey, Mark, don't bother. The Demicans can't face up to the fact that they
lost because they ran like Repugs, as well as running a generally sorry,
suckass candidate who blew what should have been a sure thing, and they are
deeply resentful because they think they own the votes of the left. They
either don't understand that we really do want to replace their party with a
progressive left party, which involves voting for our own candidates--or
they do understand that, and it scares them. I myself would have voted for
Nader if it had tipped the balance for Dubya. In Illinois, of course, it
didn't. But we don't have to apologize: of course we didn't lose the
election for Gore: Gore lost it for Gore, or the Supremes won it for Bush,
or whatever. But the idea that the left cannot be taken for granted is
profoundly frightening to Dems. The idea that we might be able to exercise
real power is absolutely terrifying. If we are to put together a winning
party, it means taking votes from Dems, and throwing several elections to
the GOP: if we can't face that, we have no business in politics, or we ought
to give up on left politics and become good little Dems, like Brad says.
--jks