Plug....

I too have a textbook coming out in September or
October. (Or maybe later depending on what I do
this summer: so may obligations; so little time).
I had previously thought I'd have it done by now
but....

Oh, and I did not get $1 million advance ...

Title: Microeconomics: The Quest for Profits, the
Use of Power, and the Social Good
Level: Principles of Microeconomics
Cost: ZERO -- downloadable free from the Internet
as Adobe Acrobat files (professionally formatted
to look pretty). Or, for the cost of shipping
($3?), available on a CD.
Publisher: Me

Chapter Titles: The Surplus, Different Economic
Systems, Development of Capitalism, Profits and
the Markup, Competition, Barriers to Entry,
Strategies to Boost Firm Profits, Social Limits to
the Actions of Firms, The Drive for Large Size,
Industrial Landscape of US Economy, Demand, Social
Creation of Demand, Monopoly, Oligopoly, Highly
Competitive Industries, Supply and Demand, The
Employment Relationship, Wages and Work Effort,
Technological Change, and Capitalism and the
Social Good.

It should be 200-250 pages when completed

Plus, I think this will be the first "open source"
textbook: you will be able to download Word files
that contain all the text, tables, and figures.
You will be able to do what you want with this
material for your students: only use certain
chapters, rewrite it, add to it, etc (as long as
you don't do it to make money! You must provide
this material to students at the cost of
reproducing it).

The text is best described as a mix of
Bowles/Edwards and a standard micro text that
doesn't fetishize mathematics and diagrams.

Why am I doing all this work and, then, giving it
away free? Answer: Damaged DNA.

Eric Nilsson
Department of Economics
California State University