While pollution of water supplies is an issue in some
locations, the real issue is building and maintaining
a distribution system. We're pretty much maxxed out in
CA, although there's some crazy proposals out there to
do things like double the size of Shasta Lake and
build an earthquake-destroyable dam just upstream from
Sacramento. We'll see how long it takes the CalFed
program to implode, and then the only out will be
either to destroy every stream in the state, or to
resurrect some of the old ideas about connecting the
Snake to the Colorado, or building resevoirs in
British Colombia. And those assume that global warming
doesn't utterly disrupt weather patterns and it's
still going to rain up north. Whatever happens, it's
going to be very costly. Some months ago someone on
this list sent me a link about desalination, and if I
remember right, water costs in SoCal are now about
half what desalination costs. At some point the
distribution system will be too costly to build, and
that will be the most attractive option. Now, if we
can only figure out what to do with the salt...

tim
--- Ian Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > CB: Can't one just heat it and let it evaporate
> ?
> > >
> > > On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 02:13:10PM -0400,
> Charles Brown wrote:
> > =========
> > What will you do to trap the toxic chemicals from
> diffusing into the
> > atmosphere [atmofractal :-)] and killing people?
> >
> > ((((((((
> >
> > CB: Filter the steam ?
> And then what do you do with the toxics, export them
> somewhere?
>
> Ian

=====
Check out the Chico Examiner listserves at:

Subscribe to the Chico Examiner for only $40 annually or $25 for six months. Mail cash
or check payabe to "Tim Bousquet" to POBox 4627, Chico CA 95927