Absolutely, the design of cars, the construction of housing, the location of
housing, and a multitude of other factors affect the rate of depletion.

I believe that the point that Mark is making is that even if we were to make
enormous improvements in such areas, even if we find a way to drive down the
marginal cost of extraction, shortages are looming in the long run.

I doubt that he or any of us here could actually pin point the timing of this
long run.  To put it off requires an enormous massing of will -- although price
increases will increase conservation, conservation alone will not suffice.  It
will require substantial changes in lifestyles, which brings up the sort of
point that Doug makes -- who decides, how do you get people to comply ....?

The problem is that the immediate decisions on such things have important long
run consequences.