It is not that Engels misunderstood Marx. Marx unfolded a new law system.
Marx ame first. Engels agreed to the best of his ability. To continue.

>MIYACHI TATSUO
>PSYCHIATRIC DEPARTMENT
>KOMAKI MUNICIPAL HOSPITAL
>KOMAKI CITY
>AICHI Pre.
>JAPAN

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> [...]

>Instruments of labor into instruments of labor only usable in common, the
>economizing of all means of production by their use as means of production
>of combined, socialized labor, the entanglement of all peoples in the net of
>the world-market, and with this, the international character of the
>capitalistic regime. Along with the constantly diminishing number of the
>magnates of capital, who usurp and monopolize all advantages of this process
>of transformation, grows the mass of misery, oppression, slavery,
>degradation, exploitation; but with this too grows the revolt of the
>working-class, a class always increasing in numbers, and disciplined,
>united, organized by the very mechanism of the process of capitalist
>production itself. The monopoly of capital becomes a fetter upon the mode of
>production, which has sprung up and flourished along with, and under it.
>Centralization of the means of production and socialization of labor at last
>reach a point where they become incompatible with their capitalist
>integument. Thus integument is burst asunder. The knell of capitalist
>private property sounds. The expropriators are expropriated.

>>The capitalist mode of appropriation, the result of the capitalist mode of
>production, produces capitalist private property. This is the first negation
>of individual private property, as founded on the labor of the proprietor.
>But capitalist production begets, with the inexorability of a law of Nature,
>its own negation. It is the negation of negation. This does not reestablish
>private property for the producer, but gives him individual property based
>on the acquisition of the capitalist era: i.e., on cooperation and the
>possession in common of the land and of the means of production.

>>The transformation of scattered private property, arising from individual
>labor, into capitalist private property is, naturally, a process,
>incomparably more protracted, violent, and difficult, than the
>transformation of capitalistic private property, already practically resting
>on socialized production, into socialized property. In the former case, we
>had the expropriation of the mass of the people by a few usurpers; in the
>latter, we have the expropriation of a few usurpers by the mass of the
>people. [2]"

>>So he modified his "crisis expectation" into expectation of growing social
>movement which of course include people's will to resist, survive, and
>destroy.
>In other hand, Lenin expected revolution from economic and political crisis.
>So he insisted "let imperial war into civil war." Once he could gain
>political power-Soviet— he failed social revolution, which require to
>abolish money. As this historical result, Stalin completes his "crisis
>theory." So It is not surprising that most Marxists believe in "crisis
>>theory." But in current global critical practice, its theory will decline.

REPLY

Melvin P.

"Men" make their own history and this most certainly includes "men" as
willful beings subject to "accidental phenomenon," "laws of chance and
Synchronicity," the cultural heritage that shapes the ideas and assertion of
will. Chance and the accidental can be studied as occurring under definite
conditions of social life. In my estimate, this reply was not historically
ordained or set into motion thousands of years ago waiting for fulfillment.
People dream and their individual and collective dreams shape and give force
to our social reality. Dream are not determined or rather originate in the
"mold of production," neither are expectations, although mode of production
can give a "certain" symbolic representation - form to dreams and proscribe
the framework of limitation for the realization of expectation. Dreams and
expectations predate "society" and mode of production as such, yet they
currently occur under specific conditions and much of these specific
conditions are the product of dreams and expectations materialized.

In retrospect, the expectations of Marx and Engels concerning the prospect of
social revolution reveal themselves to be the willful and wishful thinking of
young men who had a powerful dream - vision, of the future rooted in their
particular conceptions of "the possible."  It is precisely "the possible"
that engages the individual and collective mind. Nevertheless, on the basis
or rather within the context of "European development" and intellectual
tradition Marx and Engels articulated a vision of a future embracing their
understanding of mans developmental processes. The framework of their
collective thinking states:

"that production and, next to production, the exchange of things produced, is
the basis of every social order; that in every society that has appeared in
history, the distribution of wealth and with it the division of society into
classes or estates are dependent upon what is produced, how it is produced,
and how the products are exchanged. According, the ultimate causes of all
social change and political revolutions are to be sought, not in men's
brains, not in their growing insight into eternal truths and justice, but in
changes in the modes of production and exchange."
(Anti-Duhring, Theoretical)

It has often happened that the words "ultimate causes" are elevated or
misunderstood and the mode of production of material life is treated as a
mechanical relationship instead of an interactive relation wherein living
human beings are the decisive actors creating what is called society.
Nevertheless, Marx and Engels defined "the possible" as a conception riveted
to "ultimate causes."

Abolishing money - "the possible" operates within the construct of "ultimate
causes" and therefore is an interactive element given force within a specific
mode of production and its development. Abolishing money is riveted to Marx
approach to the theory of value as a mediating force in the affairs of
humanity, or rather abolishing money as a form of commodity transaction and
vehicle of not simply capital but wealth accumulation is subject to all the
laws governing the production of commodities, no matter what the mode of
production.

Roughly eighty-five years after the October Revolution it seems that
abolishing money was a historical impossibility from the standpoint of the
development of commodity production and its technological basis. That is to
say, abolishing a mediator of social transactions - exchange of commodities,
presupposes a technological development that renders exchange obsolete and
with it a mediator of exchange. Are the facts of exchange more fundamental to
the existence of exchange as a fact or the vehicles of exchange, although one
cannot exist without the other? The emergence of a technological development
that renders exchange obsolete would be called the "ultimate causes"
governing the realization of "expectation" in the framework thus presented.

Even within this framework, determining what constitutes the "ultimate
causes" requires an assessment of "a certain technological development" that
drives "historical inevitability" - a term that I actually dislike but use
because it is convenient. Actually, the word combinations that articulate my
particular conception would be the "historical consequence" instead of
"inevitability" because of the role of "will" within a particular social
formation. In a similar fashion the concept implied in the terms "objective
reality" versus "subjective reality" - the life of the mind, are used because
they are convenient and a part of the cultural heritage that surrounds me on
all sides. I do not dispute the existence of matter outside by individual
biological formation - that houses my cognitive functioning, however
"authenticity of objective reality" is more powerful.

Wherein resides the authenticity of asserting the abolition of money was
desirable or within the realm of "the possible" fifty years ago?

Everyone who has studied Marx and Engels, their individual and collective
conception of dialectics, come to this study by various routes and cultures.
My particular route was Engels "Ludwig Feuerbach and the End of Classical
German Philosophy," which I read at age seventeen more than thirty years ago.
Thus, I tend to gravitate towards the Marx dialectic from the standpoint of
Engels prophetic vision of value and many will disagree with the use of the
word "prophetic" and Engels formulation of the trajectory of value, and this
formulation was the basis for collaboration with Marx.

Nevertheless, wherein consists the authenticity of the conclusion, which
states that the abolition of money was desirable or possible prior to the
emergence of a specific technological development that renders human labor
increasing superfluous in the production of commodities; polarizes exchange
value and use-values on the basis of antagonism under private property
relations  - as a primary tendency in human laboring activity?

If in fact value is the socially necessary amount of labor in the production
of commodities, then it is valid to ascertain the qualitative developments in
society that impacts and tends to render labor increasing superfluous in the
total world production as a ratio embracing all human being on earth. Engels
of course is responsible for the publication of Volume 2 and 3 of Capital;
all three volumes of Theories of Surplus Value; the preservation of the bulk
of what is known as the "classics" in the science of society.

The basis of the "crisis theory" resides in the dimensions of capitalist
commodity production as a specific development of commodity production and
expresses itself as the antagonistic movement of use-value and exchange
value. Please locate when Marx or Engels altered this formulation as oppose
to altering their expectation of social revolution based on the formulation.
The epidemic of overproduction is the crowning theory of value under
capitalist production relations. The negation of the negation as a
theoretical postulate in the hand of Marx, when applied to the science of
society is a broad historical movement that abolishes all property as such
and this includes public property.

In my interpretation of "crisis theory" which I understand to correspond to
the words used by Marx and Engels, "the epidemic of overproduction," was most
certainly experience of crisis that led to the unfolding of the law system
that governed the basis components of the crisis. The unfolding of the law
system of capital in basic crisis was articulated on the basis of philosophic
concepts. These philosophic concepts are generally referred to at the Marx
dialectic.

Money cannot be abolished as a mediator of exchange. It has not been that
long ago when a carton of Marlboro cigarette could function as "money" in the
process of exchange. It is only when a new qualitative feature has been
introduced into a process and the process beings metamorphosis toward
concrete negation that one can make a determination of the various stages of
the process and its boundaries in transition. Here the will of man is
decisive. If everyone thought like Marx 150 years ago, the world in which we
live would be different. Everyone cannot think like Marx because of the
authenticity of the individual experience. In other words the subjective
factor - an expression that do not arise out of my culture but are suitable
frameworks of reference at this time, determines much or the will of man, but
this will cannot supersede a concrete social formation and its quantitative
stages of competition and then assume an institutional form of transition.

Money could not have been abolished because the quantitative completion of
the various stages of growth of the capitalist mode of production - on a
planetary scale, had not been completed. The accumulation of the sum total of
forces that prepares the ground to realize the expectation of the leap - the
broad negation of the negation, that leads to the new had not been completed
in the time of Marx and Engels. Marx and Engels argued for social
revolutionaries to "guild" the transition period as opposed to capitalist.
This is not the case today. A new qualitative ingredient is present in our
current mode of production that did not exist during the time of Marx.

Marx and Engels did not "modify" their view concerning the crisis (epidemic)
of overproduction but rather "modified" their expectation of what is possible
- given the will of man, based on a specific configuration of the
quantitative and qualitative factors of capitalist development. These
specific quantitative and qualitative features can be delineated because
history is in back of us. The collective human eye cannot see transition,
only the second stage - emergence.

>Once he could gain
>political power-Soviet-, he failed social revolution, which require to
>abolish money. As this historical result, Stalin completes his " crisis
>theory".

There is of course failure and "failure." Did the alchemist fail within the
framework of their historical limitations? What is the dialectic of "the
possible" and "the expectation?" The "leader" the "people" and the social
institutions are a complex dynamic. What if it is not possible to abolish
money? This of course means that there exist limitations of possibility and a
separation between "the possible" and "the expectation." Allow me to approach
the question from another realm of science.

I am a novice student of everything and this includes the writings of Herman
Aihara. I cannot convince any one of the authenticity of Mr. Aihara
experience and conclusions. His "Acid and Alkaline" is profound and contains
revolutionary conclusions in the context of what is called the science of
biological functioning. Mr. Aihara's expectations - verified in empirical
research, outrun the expectations of the general culture and audience I am a
part of.  What is the dialectic of "the possible" and "the expectation?" The
"leader" the "people" and the social institutions are a complex dynamic,
wherein the will of man often dictates "the possible" as a concrete daily
action and interaction.

Marx and Engels "never left" the realm of theoretical conclusions, which must
not and cannot be merged with "expectations."  Value is infinitely more than
the various sides it manifest itself in - as a part of use and exchange, and
expresses itself through, and contains a trajectory as a force mediating
social affairs, no matter what ideological forms its operations produce in
the minds of men.

Here is the irony: everyone correctly judges the leader harshly until they
are in fact the leader. Then a divergence takes place with most leaders
judging themselves harsher. Strange but true: I have experienced this and its
impact on the mind. How can money be abolished?

Melvin P.