>Rakesh Bhandari wrote:
>
>>Why is that when the question of oil economics came up, I seemed to
>>be the only one who remembered Bina's work though Bina had been a
>>co-editor (I believe) of RRPE with many of you?
>
>Hey, I had Bina on the radio. You're not the only one.
>
>Doug

Doug, this was weeks after discussion had gone on your list without
any serious mention of the important works in oil economics
(Massarat, Roncaglia, Bromley, Spiro,  Adelman and Bina) and after I
had posted about my surprise of the low level of discussion on LBO
here (I believe) and about Bina's work publically (on the OPE-L) and
to you privately a couple of weeks before you interviewed him, no?
You hadn't mentioned his work before that right?  Before that there
was no mention of his work, no acquaintence with his argument against
what came to be called the oilism thesis. I am not now defending
Bina's argument though it's nice to know that he's a nice guy--never
met him myself. But this is far from the point.

  I am merely saying that discussion of oil economics went on weeks
without mention of his work even for the purposes of refutation. And
I ask myself why does it seem that no one knows about critical
political economic work by a colleague on the economics of oil and US
foreign policy when the US has been pursuing a very destructive
policy for the last ten years or so? Was no one concerned to read and
think hard about Bina's work? Why did his work so easily slip out of
memory?

I had no interest in revisiting our arguments about trade. This arose
out of Michael's insistence that my behavior and tone are just
obstacles. It would be much too much for anyone on this list to
express appreciation for the concerns that I raised. After all, I did
help to stimulate a discussion which was culminated by a very
informative post by Hari Kumar.

There is much too much unjustified confidence implied in Michael's
and Jim D's negative comments about my style that in the absence of
sharp and impolite questioning--questioning which does not assume in
the face of contrary evidence that the addressee is not ethnocentric
and does not respect the desire to be free of the imposition of
having to consider matters from the point of view of another
oppressed group--there would be easy overcoming of ethnocentric
fallacies by which I mean the inability to see matters from the point
of view of another oppressed or exploited group with which good
American progressives and populists do not identify here as a result
of nationalist, ethnic or gender prejudices of which they are not
even or at best dimly aware.

That I have reached this conclusion about many of my interlocutors
does make  me ipso facto impolite.

Rakesh