I know about Arnold.  My point was merely that the trustbusters had a very
different analysis of the cause of the Depression than the corporatists.  They
believed that the large corporations cut production and kept prices high causing
the Depression to be as destructive as it was.  Who brought up Bork?  His views
were very different.

Justin Schwartz wrote:

> >There were two lines in the New Deal.  The corporatists were not dominant
> >at first -- the Thurman Arnold, trust-busting line, was.  The idea was
> >that corporate power caused the Depression by keeping prices high and
> >curtailing output.
> >

> But Judge Arnold was no fan of unmbridged free markets. Have you head his
> The Folklore of Capitalism? A wonderful book. As I said, trust-busting isn't
> the same idea as the current Stevens-Bork-Posner line that antitrsutis just
> about efficiency.
>
> jks

Michael Perelman
Economics Department