> I would like to know how accurate Romain's account is.  How much were his
> voters reacting against immigration and crime vs. Maastricht and
> capitalist Globalization?
> >
> Michael Perelman

The question of immigration has not been an important matter in political
discourses, even Le Pen's, for years. But for thirty years, popular voters
keep giving the same message in vain. When government is hold by rightists
(the seventies), they vote for the left. When government is hold by the
left, for doing the same "Europen" and "Globalizing" policy (the eighties),
they vote for the right. But neither the right nor the left listen to this
message. And hand in hand, both oligarchies continue their sapping of
salaries, of employment, of social laws, of independance, of hope. Sunday,
for the first time, popular voters swang over to a man who spoke
(electioneeringly) against Bruxelles, against Maastricht, against
oligarchies, and spoke of the real fears, fears of future. As for the
security discourse, it was not mainly of Le Pen, but of Chirac and Jospin,
first!
It is in the traditional communist places (Seine St Denis, Pas de Calais,
Loraine, etc.) that Le Pen got the higher scores, not in the richest places
where are traditionnally living the rightists and the fascists. And this is
the responsibility of the French communist party.

There is a globalizing economic crisis with huge social and intellectual
consequences! And as long as leftits will continue denying it, popular
voters will continue sliding towards populism, as between the two World
Wars.

RK