I know nothing about the US, but in New Zealand our centre-left
Labour-led government is proposing to give local government considerably
wider powers. I'm not sure how that effects the ability to tax, but it
seems to be modelled on the activities of the City Council in
Christchurch (where I live) which was dubbed "The People's Republic of
Christchurch" by the right-wing Business Roundtable (which has been worn
as a badge of honour by the city since then). That was because, while
other councils were going the way of the neoliberal central government
of the 80's and 90's, cutting back services and privatising everything
else, Christchurch was a haven of relative enlightenment, compensating
for the cutbacks to some degree, preserving (and enhancing)
council-owned services and firms, becoming the largest landlord in the
country with low-cost housing, initiating local economic development
programmes, financing art festivals, etc. To do this it had to stretch
the rules and the new laws legitimise such behaviour.

The widened powers are being strongly opposed by business interests such
as the Roundtable because they are worried that they will be used by
local government to back out of the neoliberalism of the past two
decades and expand the role of local government.

So much so good. There are some flies in the ointment. Firstly, while
the new law bans privatisation of many services (such as water), it
still allows public-private partnerships for up to 15 years, which is
the cause of considerable opposition, based on experience here and
abroad. Secondly, the minister responsible for the bill, Sandra Lee,
stepped down before the election that was held last weekend. That is
part of a much messier story about the bust-up of the left party, the
Alliance, which was in the governing coalition.

Bill