>From: "Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Joanna writes:
> >A critique of the development of science under capitalism would take much
>more than an email. Suffice it to say that what we refer to as SCIENCE
>today is a specific historical form suffering from specific historical
>deformations. I leave it to your imagination to envision how intelligent,
>conscious beings might be able to develop alternative forms.<
>
>there's a difference between science in theory (what "intelligent,
>conscious
>beings might be able to develop") and science in practice (the degenerated
>science of a pharmaceutical company, etc.)

Again, I believe it's the nature of science itself -- not just the
corruptive effects of capitalism -- that so often causes technology to have
a destructive, dehumanizing impact on society.  The ever increasing
specialization of scientific knowledge seems to *require* division of labor,
bureaucratization of R&D and minimization of individual responsibility for
long-term consequences -- an extremely toxic combination.

(Apologies for the delay in responding -- lately my pen-l posts seem to be
taking the scenic route through the web.)

Carl