--- joanna bujes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> At 03:47 AM 10/12/2002 +0000, you wrote:
> >The sheer complexity of modern technologies
> requires that R&D be a team
> >effort; no one individual acting alone can
> supply the expertise needed to
> >advance the state of the art.  If you have a
> team effort, you need
> >administrators to coordinate efforts, allocate
> resources, etc.
>
> You need administrative/coordinating functions;
> but these don't necessarily
> have to become the domain of professional
> administrators. On the whole,
> workers are much savvier about how to
> coordinate/administrate their work
> than administrators. At least, i find this to
> be so in the software business.
>
> Joanna

It's the same in the military, where senior
enlisted really make the administrative,
managerial officers look good (or bad, as on one
ship where, after the officers accused NCOs and
lower enlisted , wrongly, of sabotaging
equipment--the problem was missed maintenance
intervals that officers supervised and faulty
equipment--the enlisted decided not to find any
Soviet subs for a while).

I suspect it is true everywhere. I do see how the
Japanese companies integrate assembly line with
office work--for example, office workers
participating in quality control circles at the
factory next to the office building. But in the
new new economy, most Americans say about the
Japanese: they work hard and are still good at
making things. But Americans are a separate class
meant to control the world, right? (I guess that
managerial obliviousness equals moral certitude.)

C. Jannuzi