Original Message:
-----------------
From: Sabri Oncu [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:25:21 -0800
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEN-L:34048] Re: Turkey

More than that. I read somewhere a while ago that Turkey has the
third largest military on earth, although I don't know which
country is the second. I also find it unbelievable. It is very
sad but it is true.

Sabri

Here is a source

The following report from the US State Department is not a very recent one,
but contains a lot of comparative data

http://www.state.gov/t/vc/rls/rpt/wmeat/99_00/

Another staggering fact, based on this report, Turkey is the second largest
armament importer ($3.2 billions) after S. Arabia ($7.7 billions), the
third is unexpectedly Japan ($3 billions) as of 1999.  Turkey's
unacceptable ranking becomes more intolarable when you compare its GNP per
capita with the other two countries' figures --2.3 times less than SA, and
12 times less than Japan.  S. Arabia is hard to beat, it is spending 36% of
its GNP for arms imports whereas Turkey and Japan are spending 32% and 7%,
respectively.

As to the sizes of the armies, I checked China first, expecting to have the
largest.  According to this document, China's army is 2.4 million, wheras
the US, Russia, and Turkey have 1.49, 0.9, and 0.79 million,
respectively(as of 1999).

Greetings from Porto Alegre...  As you might have heard this, the Social
Forum will be in Delhi in 2004!

Ahmet

http://mail2web.com/ .