I didn't open the can of worms willingly, as you will recall. My position is: Know the man for what he is, but the less said the better.

I don't advocate the condemnation of Ocalan or the PKK at this point since the Kurds of the Southeast have chosen him as their leader for better or worse. Best to let sleeping dogs lie and let democratization pursue its course with DEHAP, which is getting no votes outside of the southeast, BTW.

However, like the Turkish left, we should be extremely wary of the PKK/KADEK and on no condition collaborate with it, for our personal safety if nothing else. The testimony of Dev Yol's Taner Akcam, who is neither a Maoist nor a sectarian loony like Ocalan, is extremely important in this regard. Less reputable groups like Kurtulus and Aydinlik have said much the same things about PKK political assassinations and links with intel services. Ocalan is still having his detractors executed from his prison cell, such as Berzan Dürer and Faruk Bozkurt of "Red Flag," a splinter group that denounced Ocalan's declaration of support for Turkish democracy after his arrest. The very fact that these execution orders are leaking out of Imrali despite round-the-clock surveillance is indicative of official collusion.
-----Original Message-----
From: soula avramidis

 I think in all Hakki's veiws on how society reverts to a patriachial tribal social order in times of crisis, and overall disarticulation are well presented. I really do not know enough about the presonal history of Ocalan and now i do not think that this matters in this context since we know the end result of his movement and how it waS SHAPED SO ON AND SO FORTH.