soula avramidis wrote:

I think in all Hakki's veiws on how society reverts to a patriachial tribal social order in times of crisis, and overall disarticulation are well presented.

There was nothing of the sort presented here. This was what we heard from Hakki:

"Paradoxically, the forcible and violent disbanding of Kurdish tribes during the founding years of the republic probably helped this process and was thereforely ultimately beneficial to both the Kurds and the Turks."

This is the same sort of garbage that was heard when the American Indian was being forcibly assimilated in the 19th century. To speak glibly of a "patriarchal tribal social order" legitimizes what can only be described as Turkish chauvinism on an email list that is dedicated (or should be) dedicated to rooting out all sorts of prejudices. The last time I saw such a passive reaction to this sort of nonsense was 4 years or so ago when some PEN-L'ers were putting forward a kind of left-Hegelian rationale for the acceptance of the subjugation of the American Indian. No wonder Jim Craven walked away from this list. Just to dramatize what we are dealing with, let's look at Hakki's words with some substitutions:

"Paradoxically, the forcible and violent disbanding of Indian tribes during the founding years of the republic probably helped this process and was thereforely ultimately beneficial to both the Indians and the Americans."

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org