I hate to say this -- it's really pretty ugly -- but the reason Baghdad will not be Stalingrad is fairly simple. The US has the power to destroy as much of the city and its inhabitants as it wants. There is no military impediment to this, only the political cost of such slaughter. It comes down to a very cold calculation: how many civilian deaths and visible leveling of the city can they get away with? My guess is that, if Iraqi resistance is stiff, they will aim at the upper end of what they perceive to be the politically feasible range. It sickens me to imagine what this could mean.

Peter

Michael Perelman wrote:

I don't think were talking about Stalingrad here.  I suspect it will be
more like Jenin, but this means that the US would have a hard time
installing a new Karzai.
--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department