I see a lot more opposition to open-source software, and projects of
non-commercial programming projects like decentralized peer-to-peer
networks than I do support from big business.

In terms of support, the main means is by usage of open-source software.
I have worked from very small companies to Fortune 100, and all IT
departments I have seen make extensive use of open source programs, some
more than others.  Usage helps facilitate support of the software, and
software suggestions and improvements, usually coming more from the
workers at the company's initiative than from the directives of
management.  There is also some financial support of open source efforts
from Red Hat, IBM and others, but it seems to me this pales in comparison
to attacks on communal non-commerical efforts by the programming community
by other elements of big business.

In terms of attack, Microsoft has been lobbying government's to not use
open source, to forbid government or government-funded universities from
releasing open source code and the like.  Microsoft OS Chief Jim Allchin
had this to say:

http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-4825719-RHAT.html

"Open source is an intellectual-property destroyer...I can't imagine
something that could be worse than this for the software business and the
intellectual-property business...I'm an American, I believe in the
American Way, I worry if the government encourages open source, and I
don't think we've done enough education of policy makers to understand the
threat."

SCO has launched a lawsuit against Linux, claiming Linux uses some
propietary material of there's...which actually may be true, in the
millions of lines of code submitted to them from all over it's certainly
possible someone just ripped off some old code SCO has a copyright to.
But people looking it over say it's very likely that SCO itself probably
has unlicensed code within it's code base as well.  Microsoft signed a big
deal with SCO around the time of the lawsuit so lots of people see the
lawsuit as a strike by Microsoft against Linux via a third party.

"Open source" means that people can see the code that is compiled into a
computer program.  There are different types of open source licenses, the
most progressive one is Richard Stallman's widely-used GPL, which is
structured so that it would be very difficult legally for a company to
"take over" a project based on the work of many person-hours of free work,
e.g. it exists to protect the commons.  One of free software's advocates,
Eric Raymond, likened corporations building software to cathedrals, and
communities of programmers creating software to bazaars.

I think another effort in this realm, but not necessarily of open source,
is the creation of decentralized, peer-to-peer networks.  Software
projects can be corporate, meaning they are made in a hierarchical,
authoritarian, centralized environment for private profit, instead of in
an egalitarian, free, decentralized environment for public benefit like
free software.  Information networks work in the same manner - you can
have a network where people (clients) get their information, including
text, pictures, audio and video from centralized servers owned by
corporations like AOL Time-Warner, Disney, Sony, Viacom, News Corp. and so
forth.  These corporations spend money distributing this, and want to
profit, so make their money either by advertisements or subscription.
There is another manner of distributing such as peer-to-peer networks do -
it is a decentralized network where everyone shares what they want from
their computer, and a peer-to-peer network connects everything in an
egalitarian manner (although faster nodes are often made to do more work
by default, from each according to ability...), and anyone can search for
and download whatever they want.  This is being massively attacked by the
RIAA (music corporation association) and MPAA (movie corporation
association), in fact they just announced they're going to sue thousands
of people doing this, and some Democratic representatives are pushing
legislation that gives jail time to people who share copyrighted music.

This attack has two effects - one, it enforces the copyrights on these
works on the Internet whereas before they were being traded freely.  John
Gilmore in a very good paper called "What's wrong with copy protection"
calls this "artifical scarcity".  Secondly, it has the effect of hurting
these networks for the distribution of non-copyright works.  The
decentralized network itself is attacked, whether people are sharing
Britney Spears songs, or Noam Chomsky speeches (as I do on the Gnutella,
Kazaa and WinMX networks).  The lawsuit against Napster, and then Kazaa
are early signals of this - these corporations don't want to go after the
people trading their copyrighted material, they want these alternative
distribution methods, for works under their copyright or not, shut down.
It is a threat to them.  Resources like Indymedia have already begun
exploring peer-to-peer networks, and the technology for a more free,
decentralized technology controlled by people rather than large
corporations is possible, but it has come under attack by large
corporations using the arm of the government while still in it's cradle.

Lance