> In these terms, the Bush program is an extremely inefficient investment
project. The money isn't going for investment projects. It's mostly going to
give money to the rich, which does not have as big an impact on demand. Or
its going to the military, which doesn't help the supply side of the
economy.

Of course the rich could theoretically invest in expanding production, but
then they would need a motivation to do so. What would motivate them to
invest in cumulative production growth, in an economy running at 75 percent
of installed productive capacity and relatively stagnant ordinary consumer
demand ?

No doubt defence contractors would argue that they do stimulate the economy,
both through orders of materials/equipment and through employing additional
labour. I think it is important in this sense to get quantitative data, but
it is very difficult to trace the flow of funds from the US government and
enterprises producing military equipment to other enterprises so that you
might be able to estimate some kind of multiplier. All you really have is
the total value of defence contracts by contractor. It looks to me like
military production is not sufficiently large-scale to increase economic
growth significantly overall, except for some sectors.

As a Phd student, I really got the impression that really neoclassical
economic models boil down to a zero-sum trade-off between saving and
consumption, where saving is tacitly treated as automatically implying
investment. This is suggested by Keynes's formulas as well. Thus, what is
not consumed, is saved, and what is saved, is invested.

In Marxian theory, of course, a sharp distinction is made between saving,
investment, and type of investment. In addition, the zero-sum game of
neoclassical economics does not exist, since within consumption, there is a
distinction between ordinary consumer spending, luxury consumption and arms
spending. Thus, an increase in savings would not automatically translate
into an increase in productive investment, since the investment might be
non-productive investment, or the savings might be spent on luxury
consumption or arms spending.

To my knowledge, Russian Marxist economist Nikolai Bukharin was the first to
expound this viewpoint clearly. A similar interpretation is suggested in "A
Critique of Neoclassical Macroeconomics"  by John Weeks.  A big problem with
Keynesian economics, as Michael Kalecki implies,  is really that it does not
differentiate between distinct classes of income-earners, and their
differential propensities to save, invest and consume.

Interestingly, we could conclude from the economic policy of the US
government, not only that increasing social and income inequality is
counterproductive to economic growth, it is also counterproductive to paying
off the US foreign debt.  Ordinary workers pay taxes but do not engage in
significant foreign borrowing  of their own.  Conversely, the more capital
they have, the more private owners of capital will borrow, and if demand is
sluggish due to stagnant demand among ordinary consumers, the investments
will concentrate on luxury spending and arms production, or else capital
will go offshore in search of a higher return.

The other day I was looking at international data on investment in domestic
and foreign securities (all types) as a proportion of GDP, because
investment in domestic and  foreign securities and derivatives is much
larger than direct domestic and foreign investment. Countries like Holland
and the USA seem to invest in securities to an amount at least twice the
total value of GDP - in Luxemburg, the value of securities investments
absolutely dwarfs GDP.

J.