> Of course the rich could theoretically invest in expanding
> production, but
> then they would need a motivation to do so. What would
> motivate them to
> invest in cumulative production growth, in an economy running
> at 75 percent
> of installed productive capacity and relatively stagnant
> ordinary consumer
> demand ?

monetary policy won't motivate expansion when capacity utilization is low, but tax
cuts and/or spending increases can do that, by creating a market that tallows greater
use of installed capacity.

>... it is very difficult to trace the flow of funds from the US
> government and enterprises producing military equipment to other enterprises
> so that you  might be able to estimate some kind of multiplier. All you
> really have is  the total value of defence contracts by contractor. It looks
> to me like  military production is not sufficiently large-scale to
> increase economic  growth significantly overall, except for some sectors.

in a period of lots of unemployment, some workers are getting more income than they
were before because they have jobs as soldiers (or are replacing those who have jobs
as soldiers in the private sector).

At this point, I don't think military Keynesianism is a big thing. It's hardly enough
to cancel out all the cut-backs by the states. But Iraq War II may become a full-scale
quagmire...

> As a Phd student, I really got the impression that really neoclassical
> economic models boil down to a zero-sum trade-off between saving and
> consumption, where saving is tacitly treated as automatically implying
> investment. This is suggested by Keynes's formulas as well.
> Thus, what is
> not consumed, is saved, and what is saved, is invested.

Keynes reverses the classical line of causation: increased investment leads to
increased income, which raises saving.

> In Marxian theory, of course, a sharp distinction is made  between saving,
> investment, and type of investment.

in Marx himself, the distinction between saving and investment is not emphasized. The
issue is more one of overproduction and the non-realization of surplus-value.

Jim