At 4:52 PM -0800 11/11/03, joanna bujes wrote:
No, I'm arguing, that advertising isn't netural; I'm arguing that
its rhetoric has an implicit message, that this implicit message is
a form of brainwashing, and that a free society should not promote
brainwashing.

Advertising isn't neutral but partisan, and that is why it has always been important to the left. Early Soviet artists, for instance, were masters of poster art, typography, and other tools of the advertising industry -- they sought to employ and remake industrial technology in the service of liberation struggles.

"Join the Red Forces to Get a Better life" -- A Poster by Vladimir
Mayakovsky (1893 - 1930) ["If You Want Something - Join Up" -- from
the year 1921]:
<http://www.funet.fi/pub/culture/russian/html_pages/images/lef2.jpg>

"Learn to read!" --  A Poster by Alexei Radakov (1879 - 1942) ["He
Who Is Illiterate Is Like a Blind Man.  Failure and Misfortune Lie in
Wait for Him on All Sides" -- from the year 1920]:
<http://www.funet.fi/pub/culture/russian/html_pages/images/lef1.jpg>

And here's a wonderful collection of posters from the Spanish Civil
War: _The Visual Front_,
<http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/speccoll/visfront/vizindex.html>.
--
Yoshie