--- Yoshie Furuhashi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Right on, Ralph.  If the chickenhawks want an
> empire, let them be
> >ready to send their own kids to battle for it.
> Lest we forget, it
> >was Nixon who got rid of the draft in favour of the
> "all" (poor
> >prole) volunteer military.
>
> You see, that's why I think it will take a
> Democratic president to
> reinstate the draft.  A Republican president won't
> be able to inspire
> such a response.
> --
> Yoshie

IMHO, the anti-war, anti-empire movement will grow
substantially if *everyone* in the mother country has
to face the existential consequences which go hand in
hand with the militarized maintenance of imperialism,
*not* just those desperate enough to sell their skills
to the "volunteer" armed forces for a living.

Best,
Mike B)

=====