I agree with you, Carrol, when you associate radical trade unionism
activity with the historic labour struggles for recognition and
collective bargaining rights. And also your points concerning the
decline in trade union "density" within the society, and the scarcity of
politically-conscious activists in the locals. No different up here or
in any of the developed capitalist economies in this period.

But I'm not referring to the left-wing militancy we associate with the
old IWW- and CP-led unions -- but something much more elementary, when
people initially have "bread and butter" trade union and political
consciousness forced on them by the circumstances they find themselves
in. In this context, I do think if the coming cuts to retirement,
medical, and other core government programs are deep enough and
perceptible enough, people will react -- in varying degrees -- even if
they're deep into watching sports, sex, and survivors on TV today.

And people invariably turn first to what it closest at hand when their
living standards are threatened -- their unions and, in the US case, the
Democratic party -- which is why I think these are the venues where any
opposition to serious cutbacks would first manifest itself.

Of course, this isn't certain; the cuts, when they come, will almost
certainly be downplayed, disguised, sold as "reforms", and phased in. So
they may well be, by and large, passively accepted because they won't be
experienced directly as an immediate assault on jobs or income. But if
there is a potential to organize opposition, as I think there will be,
it will be easier and more effective to do so from within the unions and
the DP rather than from the outside. I include in this the development
of opposition within the environmental, lesbian and gay, Latino/a,
black, and other social movements -- all of whose demands to stop the
cutbacks will be necessarily channeled into the Democratic party and
directed at the party's legislative representatives at all levels of the
political system.

Marv Gandall