Even better, in the case of stuff by Wagner, just don't do it.
JD
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -- Mark Twain (paraphrased).

        -----Original Message-----
        From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Fri 3/26/2004 2:46 AM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: Re: [PEN-L] More on the labor theory of value

        To be honest, this is just more evidence of German
        overmanning.  Does an orchestra really need two
        trombone players, a timpanist and an oboist, each of
        whom only plays a couple of notes?  Surely there's some
        scope for retraining multitasking and flexible labour
        practices here.  If everyone achieved the same level of
        productivity as the violinists, we could get those
        bloody Mahler symphonies over in a quarter of an hour.
        Or better still, outsource the whole thing and play
        them in a call centre in Bangalore.

        dd

        On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:46:29 -0800, "Devine, James"
        wrote:

        > of course, this isn't really about the labor theory of
        > value, since the players produce a collective product
        > with a collective labor process in which external
        > benefits amongst workers imply that the effects of
        > individual labors can't be separated. Being paid more
        > for more effort is about the theory of
        > wage-determination, not the theory of value of the
        > products of labor.
        >
        > ------------------------
        > Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &
        > http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine

        their
        > musical
        > > colleagues
        > > - a litigation that the orchestra's director
        > yesterday called
        > > "absurd".
        > > The 16 violinists at the Beethoven Orchestra, in the
        > former
        > > West German
        > > capital Bonn argue that they work more than their
        > colleagues who play
        > > instruments including the flute, oboe and trombone.
        > >
        > > The violinists also say that a collective bargaining
        > agreement that
        > > gives bonuses to performers who play solos is
        unjust.