 From: Shane Mage [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 7:36 AM
 To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Subject: Re: [PEN-L] More on the labor theory of value

JD wrote: "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -- Mark Twain (paraphrased).

 Mark Twain was making a perceptive comment on contemporary
 American standards of musical performance, not a philistine
 denegration of one of the greatest composers ever.

Shane Mage

 "When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all
 things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even
 downright silly.

 When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all
 things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true."  (N.
 Weiner)