(My last posting for a while, Mike.)

James Devine wrote:

Capitalism always involves a contradiction between capital's interest (the
long-term interest of the capitalist class as a whole) and those of
competing individual capitalists. (One might liken this contradiction to
the "public goods problem" of orthodox economics, though of course there's
another contradiction that's more important, that between classes. So it's
a "collective goods problem" for the capitalists.)

I fully agree.

My only point here is that contradictions end up resolving themselves -- in
this case, politically.  As Marx says in Hegelian jargon, given the
conditions, a difference evolves into a contradiction, which in turn evolves
into an antagonism, which bursts and thus "reestablishes the unity"
(Grundrisse).  So I just tried to imagine what the end of the sequence would
be.

The interests of individual capitalists are tied to their collective
interest and, of course, vice versa.  It's a chicken and egg question or --
as we used to say -- dialectics.  If something makes sense for the class as
a whole, some individual capitalist mind comes up with the idea.  The idea
takes a while to be pondered, it is assaulted by the conventional wisdom,
impeded by hardened conditions, etc., but eventually -- if it keeps making
sense -- more capitalists adopt it and set to remove the conditions that
restrain its realization.  Making sense in individual capitalist minds and
in their aggregate or collective consciousness is a matter of crass
cost-benefit analysis.

At the end of the day, it'll be the concrete, contingent political battle
which will decide what course the U.S. capitalists will end up choosing and,
as a result of the clash of their choice against those of others, something
will happen (always constrained by the laws of nature and inherited
history).  What Marx's method does is give us a way to sort this messy
process out -- roughly.  Because some broad tendencies are implied as
Hegelian "necessities" by the "logic" of the present conditions.

Julio

MSN Amor: busca tu ½ naranja http://latino.msn.com/autos/