From: Louis Proyect <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Jun 23, 2004 9:53 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PEN-L] Putin

Chris Doss wrote:
> Dude, I think I know who Imam Shamil is. I referred to his failed
> attempt to impose Shariah in an earlier, apparently unread, post. He was
> a Dagestani Avar. Shamil Basayev is named after him. He lived out his
> last years in a sumptuous palace outside St. Petersburg on the tsar's
> money, after having been bribed to quit fighting. He died in what is now
> Saudi Arabia, after having been given permission to go there by the tsar.

I am not sure I gather your drift here. You seem to be okaying the
Czarist conquest of the Caucauses because they were fighting backward
religious practices or something like that? I had no idea that the
Russian Orthodox Church was a beacon of civilization and enlightenment.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org