Reading JD, I thought I'd go back and check the archives, because I could have sworn
somebody
was actually giving financial advice in response to the original query.  The thread
started on 21 June.

Jim's was the first response-- his words were "diversify, diversify, diversify.."  he
did warn against
expecting the stock market to be moral.  In fact he warned against "overweighting"
stocks,
but I think that was for performance reasons.  The thread wanders a bit, as others,
offer
their personal wishes about retirement plans, a debate on presidents and military
actions,
ensues, and then Jim repeats his advice about diversifying, holding for the long term,
so
"you won't eat dog food."  Henwood's got his cats and his cat food, Jim's got dog
food.  Bird
seed anybody?

Then comes the advice about doing the right thing in the international debt markets and
taking positions (long?  short?) in Venezuelan debt.  That's a real thing of beauty by
the
way.

Now for Marx's writings.  Marx's work, throughout all the notebooks, the volumes
of Capital, the Grundrisse, is thoroughly focused on the core of capital-- the
social relation of production-- the relation between labor and the conditions of
labor,  upon social labor and private property, upon wage-labor and capital,  how each
exists only in the organization of the other in a specific historical moment, and
how the conflict in that organization manifest itself in every facet of capital's
circuits.
Is there more to Marx than the class struggle?  Yes.  But there is nothing to
Marx without that class struggle.  All that is more is the expansion of the that core.

The competitition of capital's is a manifestation of the "flaw" in the private property
form that encapsulates social production, as capitals have to achieve a social
"verification" by throwing all privately appropriated values into circulation to obtain
any portion of the total value.  It is a manifestation of the conflict between use and
exchange, or.. private property and social production., or labor and the conditions
of labor.  It is in fact, derivative.

You can look at the whole in pieces, but only if the pieces are recognized as
a facet, a momentary condition of the essential organizing social relation.

Finally, I come to the remark about giving advice simply as "common sense."
Marx, like Hegel,  had a lot to say about  common sense.  None of it good. And
why?  Because common sense was an ideological concept, not a critical
analysis.

Which is why Marxist financial advice is worse than an oxymoron.

And I say all of the above in good humor with peace and love in my heart
for all.