"Devine, James" wrote:

> you don't understand Locke. He didn't think of his servant as a human being, so that
> the servant's labor didn't produce property for her (according to Locke's labor
> theory of property). Instead, she was like Locke's horse.

This  is misleading. Until the millenia-old sense of human society as
naturally hierarchical began to dissolve in the late 18th century it was
not necessary (nor even desirable) to see the "lower orders" as
non-human or less than human. They were fully human, and in the sight of
God even fully equal, but god or nature had created a world in which
subordination was the principle of unity and order.

This is clear enough in Shakespeare; many (most / all) of his characters
from the lower orders are seen as quite richly human and worthwhile, but
this does not interfere in the least with an assumption that they filled
their appropriate rungs of the great chain of being.

It was the crumbling of this hierarchical sense of divine ordained order
that generated the ideological necessity for scientific racism and
scientific male supremacy in the early 19th century. Discussion of this
change can be found in Stephanie Coontz, _The Social Origins of Private
Life_, in Thomas Laqueur, _Making Sex: Body and Gender from the Greeks
to Freud_, Volume I of Martin Bernal's _Black Athena_, Stephen J.
Gould's review of Laqueur in the NYRB, and Barbara Fields, "Slavery,
Race and Ideology in the United States of America." Stephanie Coontz
quotes from a letter from a 17th c. gentleman to his daughter, in which
he says that were it not for the natural subordination of women, she
would be a better writer than he. In the same spirit it would have been
quite possible (whether it ever happened or not I do not know, but it
would not have been a contradiction) for Locke to see that servant as a
better human being than Locke himself, and yet without a quiver exploit
the hell out of that servant.

It was only with the Declaration of Independence and its assertion of
human equality that there developed a serious need to justify such
subordination by asserting biological inferiority.

Carrol